News   Mar 28, 2024
 995     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Toronto Bike Share

I'm proud to say they have been taking my money since the first day they opened service.
I was a member for the first two or three years, initially signing up just to give it that membership boost. Didn't use it much though, as it didn't actually cover the area around home.

The increased service area, and my desire to avoid riding the TTC during the pandemic brought me back.

I was a member for the first two or three years, initially signing up just to give it that membership boost. Didn't use it much though, as it didn't actually cover the area around home.

The increased service area, and my desire to avoid riding the TTC during the pandemic brought me back.
I've always lived, and usually worked, in their service area. I'm not sure I usually use it enough to justify the annual membership, but I like to support it. I actually use it quite a bit less thanks to the pandemic, since I don't go to the office and do a lot fewer unplanned errands and lunches.

Until this year I had the fob that you could just attach to your keychain. Sadly, it gave up the ghost.
I like carrying the card in my wallet or pocket. It is a very quick swipe and then the bike is released, and very rarely have I ever had an issue with it failing to recognize the card. In case I forget to bring the card, I can always fall back on the app.

I've always lived, and usually worked, in their service area. I'm not sure I usually use it enough to justify the annual membership, but I like to support it. I actually use it quite a bit less thanks to the pandemic, since I don't go to the office and do a lot fewer unplanned errands and lunches.
The reverse for me. Had to wait until the recent expansion to Midtown to really begin enjoying it, while before I was watching from the sidelines thinking that no way an annual membership was worth the cost for the few times a week I was downtown and had to go somewhere else in downtown.

Since the start of the pandemic, the system has completely replaced the TTC for me for short and medium range trips. I've even done a few longer leisure trips this summer thanks to the new 45-minute option, rather than pulling out my bike.

Since the start of the pandemic, the system has completely replaced the TTC for me for short and medium range trips. I've even done a few longer leisure trips this summer thanks to the new 45-minute option, rather than pulling out my bike.
To be fair, it's not just the pandemic limiting my mobility these days as I had a baby not much before it started. I haven't used Bixi that much over the last two years, but keep up my membership and will increase my use in the future. Bixi was the best for days like today when you know it will be raining eventually so you don't want to bring your bike, but it is not raining right now.

1632344026401.png

1632344040683.png

Bike Share Hacks

Hack #1

Sometimes the lever to adjust your seat is too loose. Other times it is too tight and difficult to close it. I notice some users find shifting to an awkward angle makes it easy enough to close.

IMG_20210924_124028.jpg
IMG_20210924_124036.jpg

Really though, all you need to do is adjust the nut on the other side of the lever to get the perfect amount of tension.

IMG_20210924_124028 nut.jpg

Hack #2

So I have a tote bag that I found fit perfectly in the front rack. I would put the bungee cord through the bag straps to prevent it from falling. But sometimes I don't feel like walking around with a tote bag and I am limited in what I can carry because the bungee cord has to go over top of the bag. I also can't use the rack for anything else since I don't have the option of wearing the tote bag while I bike.

I experimented with a yoga/stretching strap from Dollarama. This particular one was not in a loop, so I tied a double knot to connect both sides, then wrapped it around the rack and handles to provide some coverage on the side of the rack.

IMG_20210924_124053.jpg

IMG_20210924_121423.jpg

IMG_20210924_121432.jpg

After I took these photos I adjusted the strap so it was as wide as possible and lined up with the top of the rack, just below where the notches are that hold the bungee cord. Make sure not to over the lights. Around the back, it should cover those two silver screws you see in the picture. It actual worked really well and held my bag in place the whole trip.

The depth of the rack is not super wide so you may need to adjust what is at the bottom of your bag to fit it in. You can stuff more at the top of the bag where it is above the rack. I had a water bottle at the bottom of my bag which made it heavier at the base which helped keep it stable.

Later in the day I finally made it to the new downtown T&T.

IMG_20210924_155827.jpg

After shopping, my knapsack goes on my back and the grocery bag goes on the rack.

I put the band around again, but after biking a bit I felt it was loose. So I undid the double knot and tied it a bit tighter which really helped. I also tied a gentle double knot on the handles of the grocery bag as well to prevent anything from flying out the top and to give it more structure.

IMG_20210924_171748.jpg
IMG_20210924_171755.jpg
IMG_20210924_171802.jpg

I was very pleased with the results!

Anyone else have issues with the Bike Share App? I find it to be very buggy with a terrible user experience. Now with many of the credit card payment stations closing, it is the primary way to rent the bikes.

Anyone else have issues with the Bike Share App? I find it to be very buggy with a terrible user experience. Now with many of the credit card payment stations closing, it is the primary way to rent the bikes.

Not too many issues, other than the recently mentioned frequent logouts. I think I've determined that this has something to do with switching between phones. E.g. If you use the app on your work phone, you will get kicked out from your personal phone, and back'n'forth....

It also doesn't seem to jump to current location on the map when I start / re-launch the app. Usually shows the last place I used it until I hit the little location finder button.

No major issues for me though.

It works but I find the PBSC app to be very slow. Maybe it is just my phone.

I have trouble scanning the QR code sometimes. If I know I will be using the same bike several times, I'll use a regular QR code reader, copy the bike number, then paste that into the PBSC app to release the bike.

I also find that sometimes my GPS doesn't know exactly where I am so it won't release the bike for me because it thinks I am too far. I always avoid Marilyn Bell park for that reason. Could just be my network.

I have had the occasional log out issue as well.

To keep track of time, I use a workout timer app called Seconds. It is heavily customizable so I programmed a timer that will read out "45 minutes remain", "20 minutes remain" and so on.

Reactions: vic

Back