News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Toronto Bike Share

I thought it was just me with the buggy key card issue. I've noticed ever since i replaced my card (about 1-2 years ago) from the original card, i've had my card fail 80% of the time i've tried to take out a bike.

It happens to the point I have to try 3-4 times just to take out a bike on 80% of my trips. I dont know if it's the design of the cards, or some kind of software update that they did that's causing all these issues.

I've never tried the PBSC app, but with the Transit App I never had an issue undocking a bike.

Have other folk noted the almost complete absence of available e-bikes in recent months? Last fall they were fairly easy to find and see in use (and lots were showing up on the bike-share map). In the cold weather there were FAR fewer but I put this down to the cold making the batteries less reliable. Now, one VERY seldom sees one on a stand (and when you do it is 'empty' and has a red light ) and I see very few on the road too.. As of now there are 3 showing up as being available on the BS map.

Are e-bikes all out there (being used by Uber Eats!)? Are bikes all in the Bike Share garage being charged?? Are they having technical issues and being repaired? Ideas??

It appears as though they added one station, the list now shows 608; but I don't see any announcements. (they usually Tweet it).

Quick glance at the Map....was there a station at King's Mill Park last year? Maybe that one is new.

1621881491619.png

I am sure that was not there last year because I planned a trip up the Humber and remember having to leave Humber Bay Arch and going all the way up to Lundy Ave (near Dundas West)
It appears as though they added one station, the list now shows 608; but I don't see any announcements. (they usually Tweet it).

Quick glance at the Map....was there a station at King's Mill Park last year? Maybe that one is new.

View attachment 322217

So........

A friend of mine inquired with Bikeshare about the number of stations.

The reply he was given amounted to this:

There are 7 E-stations pending installation.

The others all exist but are in storage due to temporary removal, permanent removal or pending relocation. (in other words they own 625 stations/docks, they just don't have that number deployed. )

I must confess, I see that as somewhat disingenuous marketing.

Who cares how many stations you have in storage, I can't use the ones in storage!

^Very interesting tidbit of information. I still dont know why they are dragging their feet on installing the remaining stations, just go out and deploy them where they've been earmarked for. If they want to go and temporarily/permanently remove or relocate stations then by all means go ahead. But that shouldnt be stopping them from deploying what was set to be deployed.

Have other folk noted the almost complete absence of available e-bikes in recent months? Last fall they were fairly easy to find and see in use (and lots were showing up on the bike-share map). In the cold weather there were FAR fewer but I put this down to the cold making the batteries less reliable. Now, one VERY seldom sees one on a stand (and when you do it is 'empty' and has a red light ) and I see very few on the road too.. As of now there are 3 showing up as being available on the BS map.

Are e-bikes all out there (being used by Uber Eats!)? Are bikes all in the Bike Share garage being charged?? Are they having technical issues and being repaired? Ideas??
I tried many times over the winter to find an e-bike, just to try them out. I could almost never find any, pretty much anywhere on the map. Right now the app says there are two - one near the Ex and one in Leaside.

Just checked the open data file on the stations.

First, we're up to #609.

Second, I don't know if we observed this before, but they started the station count at zero. (as opposed to 1).

As such, there are 610 deployed docks.

Infrastructure and Environment Committee consideration on July 5, 2021. SEE: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.IE23.20
IE23.20
ACTION​
Ward: All​
Improving Toronto’s Bike Share Program
Origin
(May 14, 2021) Letter from Toronto Parking Authority​

Sadly............it can be summed up thusly......

We're not doing anything to improve Bikeshare this year.........and we won't even think about it until fall 2021........at which point we will make a report saying whether we feel like bothering in 2022.

Back