News   Apr 23, 2024
 119     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 337     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Each subway station (excluding Highway 407 and VMC as they are outside city limits) should also have its own BikeShare station.

Yes but...........................

The service is meaningless if you have nowhere to dock the bike away from the station.

I agree w/your premise, but each served station needs to have more than 1 destination w/dock that it seeks to serve.

Seeing as it is owned by the city, it would be great if they integrated it with TTC fares. Something like free bikeshare membership with monthly pass or free transfers to/from bikeshare with a TTC fare paid. Integrate with presto. I imagine it is cheaper for the city if people right a bikeshare bike to a station than take the bus.
Free bikeshare when the subway shuts down!
(Actually better not offer that- I want the bikes to myself)

Free bikeshare when the subway shuts down!
(Actually better not offer that- I want the bikes to myself)
I've pitched that idea to ttcplanning a while back. Still haven't heard back though. Try contacting the @TTChelps or try getting in touch with customerservice@bikesharetoronto.com, They're pretty nice actually, and open to feedback. But I'm not sure if it's in their plans. It's actually an insanely smart idea to reduce crowding on the shuttle buses and with the new Yonge, University, Bloor and Danforth bike lanes.

I'm just generally a massive, massive fan of bike share systems for last mile solutions. It's low cost, incredibly efficient, and very fast for users. Toronto's network is dense enough that it has essentially replaced local transit for me. It just gets even more useful as the suburbs see more coverage.

I would be very supportive of a provincial or federal program encouraging the adoption of bike share systems across the country that tie into local transit stations and have frequent station locations.

Seeing as it is owned by the city, it would be great if they integrated it with TTC fares. Something like free bikeshare membership with monthly pass or free transfers to/from bikeshare with a TTC fare paid. Integrate with presto. I imagine it is cheaper for the city if people right a bikeshare bike to a station than take the bus.
At a minimum, integrating with Presto would be awesome. At the same time, if I was running BikeShare I wouldn't spend the money to integrate with Presto. If the city or province paid for it then yes.

At a minimum, integrating with Presto would be awesome. At the same time, if I was running BikeShare I wouldn't spend the money to integrate with Presto. If the city or province paid for it then yes.

Bikeshare Toronto is owned by the City of Toronto and managed by the Toronto Parking Authority, w/day to day operations contracted out.

I'm just generally a massive, massive fan of bike share systems for last mile solutions. It's low cost, incredibly efficient, and very fast for users. Toronto's network is dense enough that it has essentially replaced local transit for me. It just gets even more useful as the suburbs see more coverage.

I would be very supportive of a provincial or federal program encouraging the adoption of bike share systems across the country that tie into local transit stations and have frequent station locations.
Fully agree. I used to be so envious of downtown friends using bike share for everything, but that has essentially become me in the past two years with the recent expansion into Midtown. There is still a few spots in the area I frequent that lack stations, and I am hoping that coverage fills in this year.

I don't even bother with buses or the St Clair streetcar anymore for last mile needs. Though I am reminded that I have some privilege as a 20-somethings male. The streets in the area are still not as accessible to biking as I would like it, and even with all that privilege, some stretches (such as Mt Pleasant between St Clair and Davisville) still greatly bother me safety-wise.

Cambridge MA made protected bike lanes mandatory on every single road reconstruction, preventing the kinds of fights Toronto sees. Making city-wiide policies as opposed to one-off changes that can be stalled or pushed around by local groups and councillors would prevent a lot of the process problems we see around bike-lane construction.

Cambridge MA made protected bike lanes mandatory on every single road reconstruction, preventing the kinds of fights Toronto sees. Making city-wiide policies as opposed to one-off changes that can be stalled or pushed around by local groups and councillors would prevent a lot of the process problems we see around bike-lane construction.

Even in the NL, not every street has to have protected bike lanes. Most minor streets are designed for mixing car and bike traffic. The requirement there is for traffic calming to keep vehicle speeds <30 kph.

Probably more important than bike lanes everywhere is protected intersections. Most conflicts and collisions happen at intersections.

I got caught in that :(

Biked to Woodbine Beach from the west end and was stranded for a bit before the docks went back up.
Sorry to hear that happened to you. I was planning on going for a bike ride this evening, but i'm holding off for exactly that reason. Im afraid that if I undock a bike, the end docking station will be malfunctioning and i'll have to bike all the way back to another dock.

It's not as much a problem in the downtown core, but in the suburbs where stations are spaced further apart it's a problem.

Another Rogers screw up, what a fantastic company.

Back