News   Jun 26, 2024
 144     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto Bike Share

My observation -which I know does not constitute evidence- is also that the interest is very high. Prior to expansion, I was thinking like, "everyone who likes to cycle has their own bike anyway so what's the point of this" but people do find Bixi quite practical. I assume especially younger people living condos and apartment buildings really prefer these because it eliminates the problem of going to the basement to retrieve their own bikes.

I'd like to see more stations in Queen E, Wallace-Emerson, Little Portugal and Parkdale.

I'd like more stations around subway stops, particularly Line 1. As well as the GO train stations within Toronto.

My observation -which I know does not constitute evidence- is also that the interest is very high. Prior to expansion, I was thinking like, "everyone who likes to cycle has their own bike anyway so what's the point of this" but people do find Bixi quite practical. I assume especially younger people living condos and apartment buildings really prefer these because it eliminates the problem of going to the basement to retrieve their own bikes.

I'd like to see more stations in Queen E, Wallace-Emerson, Little Portugal and Parkdale.

Oh and old seats in these bikes are SO UNCOMFORTABLE. They should replace them all with the new ones. They feel like I'm sitting on something that was produced in a soviet bloc country in 1983.

Lots of benefits to it even for a bike owner. There's also the one-way trip aspect, where you don't have to worry about locking up your bike or worrying about someone stealing it. And I hear from a lot of winter cyclists that they put their bike away for the winter and switch to bikeshare so that their bike doesn't get damaged by road salt, etc. - the bikeshare bikes are much more durable/all-season, and you don't have to worry about wear and tear on them at any rate.

As for the seats, I found the same thing, so I went to Canadian Tire and bought a gel seat cover; when I'm expecting to be using bikeshare, I toss it in my laptop bag, it takes about 5 seconds to put it on the bike, then I just have to remember to take it with me when I'm done. It's not a miracle worker but it does soften the seat a tiny bit.

Oh and old seats in these bikes are SO UNCOMFORTABLE. They should replace them all with the new ones. They feel like I'm sitting on something that was produced in a soviet bloc country in 1983.

I use Bixi even though I own a bike. Normally I use bixi in scenarios:
  • where I don't want the hassle of carrying bike locks + helmet because I'm already loaded up
  • when it's wet out, and I don't want to bring a muddy bike back into my apartment or get dirty (my bike doesn't have a mud-guard)
  • when I've just had a night out, the metro isn't running after 12:30, and I'm too cheap for an uber/taxi
  • when I am making a combination of bike + transit trips (don't want to bring bike up/down flights of stairs into crowded metro trains)
  • when it's a one-way/linked trip (shortening a walking trip or cutting out a leg of waiting for a bus)

These are all scenarios that make my life easier, but probably aren't a good selling point for the program, since I am already taking sustainable transport. The ideal answer should be: I use bixi instead of driving alone in my coal rolling monster SUV because the freedom of bike share allows me to burn calories during my fifty kilometer commute through elementary school zones and sensitive wetlands without taking on the frightening responsibilities of bicycle ownership.

Last edited:
  • where I don't want the hassle of carrying bike locks + helmet because I'm already loaded up
  • when it's wet out, and I don't want to bring a muddy bike back into my apartmet or get dirty (my bike doesn't have a mud-guard)
  • when I've just had a night out, the metro isn't running after 12:30, and I'm too cheap for an uber/taxi
  • when I am making a combination of bike + transit trips (don't want to bring bike up/down flights of stairs into crowded metro trains)
  • when it's a one-way/linked trip (shortening a walking trip or cutting out a leg of waiting for a bus)

These are all scenarios that make my life easier, but probably aren't a good selling point for the program, since I am already taking sustainable transport. The ideal answer should be: I use bixi instead of driving alone in my coal rolling monster SUV because the freedom of bike share allows me to burn calories during my ten mile commute through elementary school zones and sensitive wetlands without taking on the frightening responsibilities of bicycle ownership.

I don't think Bixi by itself can do anything to get people to get off their SUVs (it's a broader issue like gas being underpriced and sprawl being oversubsidized). Bixi is really intended to give people who'd otherwise take other forms of public transit more options. It definitely increases cycling, which brings more visibility and ultimately more safety in numbers. Just from that point of view, it's worth it.

• when it's wet out, and I don't want to bring a muddy bike back into my apartment or get dirty (my bike doesn't have a mud-guard)
  • when it's a one-way/linked trip (shortening a walking trip or cutting out a leg of waiting for a bus).
Totally. I bike on my own cycle year-round. But I find myself on a Bixi a few times a month for the same reasons - one way trips; my own bike has a mechanical issue; odd weather; a night out.

So my Toronto bike share key fob stopped working, and they sent me a replacement, but it was a card. I talked to customer service, and they said they only use the card now (which I think I've heard before, but forgot until now). I gave them a suggestion to give the option of a card or fob, and they mentioned they've been getting similar requests. Here's to hoping...

Anyone else use the card regularly? any preferences/benefits to the fob vs card? If it was a tap system then It'd be fine, but I think you have to insert it, meaning I have to take it out of my wallet, which though a minor inconvenience, is still an extra step I didn't have before.

I also use bike share for many of the reasons aquateam mentionned. But I've also ended up using it as my winter beater bike, which has been nice. Don't need to bring a snowy bike inside, and can just ditch it (ie dock it) if conditions get unexpectedly bad.

Anyone else use the card regularly? any preferences/benefits to the fob vs card? If it was a tap system then It'd be fine, but I think you have to insert it, meaning I have to take it out of my wallet, which though a minor inconvenience, is still an extra step I didn't have before.

Why not use the transit app? Most of the time I have to take my phone out to check if there are any empty docks at my destination anyway.

Why not use the transit app? Most of the time I have to take my phone out to check if there are any empty docks at my destination anyway.

I use the app as well, but it still takes a moment to load, then find out where i am, then I have to get the ride code, and punch it in. It's handy when I dont have the key, but not as convenient otherwise.

Now what would be the best is if I could use the NFC in the phone to tap out a bike, if they had compatible readers on the docks.

I use bixi instead of driving alone in my coal rolling monster SUV because the freedom of bike share allows me to burn calories during my fifty kilometer commute through elementary school zones and sensitive wetlands without taking on the frightening responsibilities of bicycle ownership.
Lol. Where's my tambourine?

There's a fob?!

I'm not liking the app, since my last attempt it kept telling me I was at the dock across the street, instead of the one I was standing beside. I now only use the card.

There should be more stations outside of the downtown core...

Yes, that's where new stations have been going and the next expansion is apparently towards The Beach.

I'm happy that they are expanding in East York and the west end, but outside of the downtown core for some of us means north of Bloor/Danforth. :p

I'm happy that they are expanding in East York and the west end, but outside of the downtown core for some of us means north of Bloor/Danforth.

The problem as you go farther north is hills. Casual riders avoid them, and serious riders are probably going to use their own bike on them. If nobody uses a bike share station, it's a waste of the capital resources. If people are only biking in one direction, it's a waste of operating resources. For bike share stations to be worth installing, they need to be both a departure point and a destination for a decent number of users.

There are stations up on St Clair, but not all over. They're by the roads that aren't particularly steep. I don't think anyone would ever use Bike Share to ride up Poplar Plains, for example.

Back