Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

I kind of wish the dogs were monochromatic (maybe in the color of the fountain, maybe in different colours)- the ones now seem like those spray painted fiberglass animal shells you see at cheap amusement parks.

I kind of wish the dogs were monochromatic (maybe in the color of the fountain, maybe in different colours)- the ones now seem like those spray painted fiberglass animal shells you see at cheap amusement parks.

I don't mind it actually - they look almost real from afar, and I have doubts as to how well unpainted ones will show - particularly at night.

AoD

re: the fountain on windy days -- they should turn off the upper level jets and keep just the bottom of the fountain on. There will be much less spray. I hope they are able to try this rather than having to turn the whole thing off.

re: the fountain on windy days -- they should turn off the upper level jets and keep just the bottom of the fountain on. There will be much less spray. I hope they are able to try this rather than having to turn the whole thing off.

Or don't do anything - Toronto need to realize that if you want fountains, you need to live with the reality that they spray on windy days.

AoD

agreed. I'd rather have fountains than not have them. If concerns about spray is keeping developers from putting them into their designs, then perhaps a low spray setting for windy days would help keep them in the design. Also, other water features like water channels with small falls (like at Pier 27) can be nice. This one in Rome (at Museo dell'Ara Pacis) does a great job of drowning out the adjacent road noise, providing no spray water and a barrier, and also building seating into it. It would be nice if we could have more small public spaces like this (perhaps on the NE corner of Bloor and Yonge if that 2-story part can be removed).
MIv6fQGt4HqTLcpQnc5NOA5z9oUyKNCqtVP2G284gALE4wUd4aSqKt_spD054NbgkhBXs1LH_s8Yygr5aE8cXGwsKTAVomoX74JTurGj0088jNeXWyodgV4PVWiugEPFS1iqUm9Ht7HNWhKDKlJAWNyK-Zpq35nk9JYEymEw53IaexZaw6oI8oADAAOnDzJL0dvj9Jajne5WE8hJsdXnEk37vT-flqqoo4nQ3xpyvfFJW1UW37AdSrt8iB0vHq2ia5Fg6UXEGG7yCBsM_y36U_FWpU1-s6Pf-wF9Wg3z8oULWX8ffczoVcFdqB0B1ooKsLFY69nDUcXmVcbxRtQBkffpZ4vuvfZmGwsg2dG2H3tBAe4qVarQPuApYOMpgNbjHQpCGIyLjU3xbsSSc-h1pcVCxP36RD79a_gG3n7vHPv8oQzr1DvY-p2Hclw_-DvAUaXPhk9E_WrifcOo8ky4oU_qUleg5EFJnrLUpJH6Qi3TWNQH_q-OegMvzO9d8FC1NalKIgQb0-jBdaiQqBmzQNk1XafRwxcySETeiqVoYV-bsgXfc1Zlw2ppLFTBYAhwpJte8KR72XPYxSF3iy7gDuYYEZOs9ErKHQcqtyo-hgzLu6G9S8Oz6g=w2560-h526-no

agreed. I'd rather have fountains than not have them. If concerns about spray is keeping developers from putting them into their designs, then perhaps a low spray setting for windy days would help keep them in the design. Also, other water features like water channels with small falls (like at Pier 27) can be nice. This one in Rome (at Museo dell'Ara Pacis) does a great job of drowning out the adjacent road noise, providing no spray water and a barrier, and also building seating into it. It would be nice if we could have more small public spaces like this (perhaps on the NE corner of Bloor and Yonge if that 2-story part can be removed).
MIv6fQGt4HqTLcpQnc5NOA5z9oUyKNCqtVP2G284gALE4wUd4aSqKt_spD054NbgkhBXs1LH_s8Yygr5aE8cXGwsKTAVomoX74JTurGj0088jNeXWyodgV4PVWiugEPFS1iqUm9Ht7HNWhKDKlJAWNyK-Zpq35nk9JYEymEw53IaexZaw6oI8oADAAOnDzJL0dvj9Jajne5WE8hJsdXnEk37vT-flqqoo4nQ3xpyvfFJW1UW37AdSrt8iB0vHq2ia5Fg6UXEGG7yCBsM_y36U_FWpU1-s6Pf-wF9Wg3z8oULWX8ffczoVcFdqB0B1ooKsLFY69nDUcXmVcbxRtQBkffpZ4vuvfZmGwsg2dG2H3tBAe4qVarQPuApYOMpgNbjHQpCGIyLjU3xbsSSc-h1pcVCxP36RD79a_gG3n7vHPv8oQzr1DvY-p2Hclw_-DvAUaXPhk9E_WrifcOo8ky4oU_qUleg5EFJnrLUpJH6Qi3TWNQH_q-OegMvzO9d8FC1NalKIgQb0-jBdaiQqBmzQNk1XafRwxcySETeiqVoYV-bsgXfc1Zlw2ppLFTBYAhwpJte8KR72XPYxSF3iy7gDuYYEZOs9ErKHQcqtyo-hgzLu6G9S8Oz6g=w2560-h526-no

Different fountain designs for different contexts - one certainly don't need these multi-tiered fountains everywhere (nor would it be practical, much less make sense for most locations). Having said that, I think it is safe to say that our city have a deficit of truly spectacular fountains - even this one merely whets the appetite. It ain't Buckingham Fountain, much less Font Magica. We should ask why.

AoD

I don't think anyone is saying "no fountains". I'm pro fountain, and think this fountain looks fantastic. I just didn't realize the spray would have such a large reach on a windy day.

I don't think anyone is saying "no fountains". I'm pro fountain, and think this fountain looks fantastic. I just didn't realize the spray would have such a large reach on a windy day.

TBH - people don't have much experience with outdoor fountains here in Toronto (other than those dinky ornamental ones that don't even get water past waist height), and it was a particularly windy day.

AoD

TBH - people don't have much experience with outdoor fountains here in Toronto (other than those dinky ornamental ones that don't even get water past waist height), and it was a particularly windy day.

AoD
Unfortunately the city is too cheap for such gestures, yet doesn't even bother extricating these things from developers...

Shame, I'm a huge fountain nut and the lack of them in Toronto is upsetting.

Unfortunately the city is too cheap for such gestures, yet doesn't even bother extricating these things from developers...

Shame, I'm a huge fountain nut and the lack of them in Toronto is upsetting.

Where do you think a large % of the funds for the Berczy fountain - and the rest of the design - came from? (Hint: Think Section 37)

Where do you think a large % of the funds for the Berczy fountain - and the rest of the design - came from? (Hint: Think Section 37)
Or force them into including it as part of the structure? Toronto dev charges are far too low as is. Doesn't seem like the devs need any more incentives to build.

Are you arguing that the city should force developers to upgrade city parks as part of their development?

Back