tyhgre.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,239
  • wqere.JPG
    wqere.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,235
  • yhtesf.JPG
    yhtesf.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,245
They need to stop applauding Toronto for its livability, and then perhaps it'll become higher priority to maintain the public realm.

If someone from the International media was to put shame to the issue, I'm sure it would get the politicians attention.

A lot of money is being made in the city just in the core from all those condos going up. Where is all that money going? The roads need to be repaved, parks are not maintained, no new subway lines. Isn't it a given that these things should be done as a city grows? It behooves me.
It's not rocket science.

A lot of money is being made in the city just in the core from all those condos going up. Where is all that money going? The roads need to be repaved, parks are not maintained, no new subway lines. Isn't it a given that these things should be done as a city grows? It behooves me.
It's not rocket science.

Actually it is when you throw in the factor you seemed to negate; Politics ......... in order for anyone to drive change they need to get elected and to do that you'll never win on a policy of wanting fixing fountains alone even if you want to; The whole finding efficiencies is a huge part of what it takes to get into office, and that's very unfortunate but that's the case in Toronto (at least as of the last 10 years or so).

I travel a lot. And cities around the world are paying a lot of attention to their public squares and streets and landscaping, whether it's in Europe or in cities in the US.
I'm so sorry to see toronto letting things go.
Even though I realize things are a little better than before.
Toronto should take pride in their public parks. That's a shame.
If it's politics, then people should demand that they're taken care of.

I travel a lot. And cities around the world are paying a lot of attention to their public squares and streets and landscaping, whether it's in Europe or in cities in the US.
I'm so sorry to see toronto letting things go.
Even though I realize things are a little better than before.
Toronto should take pride in their public parks. That's a shame.
If it's politics, then people should demand that they're taken care of.

I also travel quite a lot- mainly in Europe and North America. Though I certainly agree that Toronto could do 'more and better' with parks, roads, sidewalks and other municipal 'services' I have seen equally and worse maintained parts of every City I have visited. This thread is on the upgrading of Berczy Park and it is worth remembering that the plans for this were developed after a large amount of public consultation and funding help from the local BIA and Section 37 dollars. The general impression is that it is looking fantastic and we now need to ensure it keeps looking great - at least in this neighbourhood people DO take pride in their public parks so I am hopeful it will.

People in Toronto DO demand that 'they [parks] are taken care of' and in St Lawrence we are also now working on improvements to St James Park (scheduled for 2017/18) and David Crombie Park in 2018 and are already starting to think about how Market Lane Park and the site of the temporary St Lawrence north market can be developed to create a pleasant link between David Crombie and St James once the New North Market is finished. It is not all doom and gloom, despite politicians like John Tory and Denzil M-W who seem to think taxes are evil and there is waste (or gravy) all around us.

We don't need more of what we have already got in that area.We already have conventional parks along The Esplanade. I'd rather see Market Lane Park become a traditional public square with a strong focal point. We need a gathering place for the market, that is animated and beautiful, where people can meet friends as well as relax! A cafe/food venue in the park would be nice! (since the market has such limited hours) We need more of those in all our parks and public squares.

We don't need more of what we have already got in that area.We already have conventional parks along The Esplanade. I'd rather see Market Lane Park become a traditional public square with a strong focal point. We need a gathering place for the market, that is animated and beautiful, where people can meet friends as well as relax! A cafe/food venue in the park would be nice! (since the market has such limited hours) We need more of those in all our parks and public squares.
That may well be what happens - there will undoubtedly be public consultations but it won't happen for about 3+ years (until new North market is finished.) By then the South Market may have even got longer hours!

It's not rocket science.

The city has been lackadaisical for the past generation but, there are many, many projects underway (funded by developments) to make up for it. Take a look for yourself. We don't have that trendy, pristine downtown district to showcase and we probably never will. That's not the end of the world. Security needs to be stepped up. I'm noticing younger Torontonians aren't used to nice things.

August 15th:

IMG_6369.jpg
IMG_6370.jpg
IMG_6371.jpg
IMG_6372.jpg
IMG_6373.jpg
IMG_6374.jpg
IMG_6376.jpg
IMG_6377.jpg
IMG_6378.jpg
IMG_6380.jpg
IMG_6381.jpg