Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

27 March 2014
kU2t5xD.jpg

xlALPJx.jpg

Anyone else notice that this project seems to be attracting more attention from passerbys than others? Every time I walk by I see a few people looking up, as well as people just standing there watching. I wonder if it is the fact that its steel construction, its apparently a more interesting thing to look at / watch..

Do they pore concrete on top of those metal floors?

That would explain why they covered the lower floors it with sheets.

Do they pore concrete on top of those metal floors?

That would explain why they covered the lower floors it with sheets.

Well, maybe--I know pretty much nothing about construction. But if the sheets were explained by the need to pour concrete, then it seems we'd need to explain why there are no sheets on every other building pouring concrete.

What I don't understand about steel construction is how the weight is supported. If you look at the corner of the steel frame, is that really only being supported by those few steel columns on the side of the building? Or is the entire steel frame, all the way up to the edges, being supported by the concrete frame? If that were the case, wouldn't the steel eventually begin to bend over time?

Edit: On closer inspection, it looks like they're actually building the steel frame from the edges towards the concrete core, which would support the theory that the steel frame is also supported by the steel columns on the side of the building. Is that really enough steel on the side to support the 44s height?

Steel is stronger than you think. Also a lot of the weight is shifted towards the concrete core, unlike traditional concrete construction where the weight pretty much travels straight down on concrete columns.

Well, maybe--I know pretty much nothing about construction. But if the sheets were explained by the need to pour concrete, then it seems we'd need to explain why there are no sheets on every other building pouring concrete.
In a metal framed building you can much more easily protect the poured concrete because the frames can support weather protection tarps - and they also protect the workers. In "concrete only' buildings any protection needs to be laid on top of the concrete. Concrete cures quite fast and in cold weather they use a different mix to minimise frost damage but if it rains on newly poured concrete it is not a good thing.

I believe they use a lot of calcium chloride to aid in the curing process in cold weather. It is also a lot more expensive. There are government regulations
on time of year and temp. when these additives have to be added. Even home builders would rather wait until the time restrictions are past to pour
foundations. There are others out there with a lot more info, but i believe this is the basis.

Back