Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

BA has only 16 exterior columns for its massive plate. Longer spans are cheaper in steel.

I'm sorry if this has already been covered in the thread but could someone please explain why BA2 is using steel girders when most construction in this town (like the new RBC building) is poured concrete. From what I can tell most other cities use the steel frame method of BA2, but in this as in much else Toronto seems to have its own way of doing things.

Just noticed on Sunday morning how, when built, this will block out a good portion of my view of Trump

3C84TSJ.jpg

Took a shot of the construction today:

(Click for big)

Decking is up to the 5th floor and core is either on the 12th or 13th.

Good god, THATS your view? Awesome, and even if you loose a little Trump, you gain a little Deloitte, better their glazing then turquoise and green! That's the one thing of having a terrific view, especially in the core, there no garunteed it will stay that way for long. :cool:

I like the spire on Trump, it's recognizable and fits into the skyline quite nicely. It's also nice to have a building that's not clear or blue glass. Between BAC E and 100 Adelaide W, One York, etc it's nice to have a different color downtown. For that reason Trump is good in my opinion.

If someone is in the area, there's a sight to behold on the west facade. There are 2 containers (offices) attached to the steel structure on the 4th-5th floors. I've never seen that in Toronto, very cool.

I saw them too today, very interesting. I decided to check this site out on my lunch today, its much bigger than i thought it was going to be

If someone is in the area, there's a sight to behold on the west facade. There are 2 containers (offices) attached to the steel structure on the 4th-5th floors. I've never seen that in Toronto, very cool.

The offices in question

4lO9Pee.jpg

Being the naïve, unprofessional, skyscraper geek that I am, I have a question I'm hoping you can answer. Why build with steel frame? Considering almost all our towers are pure concrete, I'm curious as to why they chose to go with steel. Is one better then the other? Are there certain advantages/disadvantages to either method? I have tried searching on UT, but can't seem to find a direct answer from previous posts. Hard to believe they're up to the 10th floor already. Seems that one advantage to steel frame, it's faster to construct, thanks everyone, and if I've asked something already discussed, just slap me and I'll shut up! :cool:

Being the naïve, unprofessional, skyscraper geek that I am, I have a question I'm hoping you can answer. Why build with steel frame? Considering almost all our towers are pure concrete, I'm curious as to why they chose to go with steel. Is one better then the other? Are there certain advantages/disadvantages to either method? I have tried searching on UT, but can't seem to find a direct answer from previous posts. Hard to believe they're up to the 10th floor already. Seems that one advantage to steel frame, it's faster to construct, thanks everyone, and if I've asked something already discussed, just slap me and I'll shut up! :cool:

One thing I know is that concrete is more energy efficient, which suites our climate better than a steel frame.
there are many forum members out there that know, and can explain the differences better

Steel structure has greater tensile strength than reinforced concrete so it can span longer distances with minimal material used. Compare BA's columns to RBC Waterpark.

Went to The Chase last week to meet with the gf who works there, and had a nice front row view of this development, in case anyone wants a good photo vantage point. I think the dual crane action must really help speed this one up. I don't recall them using two cranes on BAC1, or is my memory letting me down?

Back