Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

I got kicked off the property last time I tried to take photos, and I was only in the central plaza separating the two buildings. :(
I have security guards threaten and try to intimidate me all the time even when I'm filming on public property. I was sitting in Sherbourne Park one time, filming the Aqulina construction and 2 security guards said I was forbidden to film the site, even from the park. They even threatened to take my camera but I would not give in to their intimidation and told them to call the police. I was literally sitting on the side of the water channel in the park and these guys were acting like I was on their property. I've had things like that happen to me many times but I know my rights, so I fight back.

I have security guards threaten and try to intimidate me all the time even when I'm filming on public property. I was sitting in Sherbourne Park one time, filming the Aqulina construction and 2 security guards said I was forbidden to film the site, even from the park. They even threatened to take my camera but I would not give in to their intimidation and told them to call the police. I was literally sitting on the side of the water channel in the park and these guys were acting like I was on their property. I've had things like that happen to me many times but I know my rights, so I fight back.

Luckily I had shot the building from all other angles and didn't really need any shots from the plaza itself. Basically mimicking @G.L.17 's experience, I did take some additional photos from Temperance Street as he wandered off.

My business partner and I have our office a block away. We wanted to try that café and were shocked that a ground floor space of that size fronting Yonge St would be closed to the general public. There was even a guard at the entrance. I see it as a middle finger to the city.

I'll be surprised if this cafe stays closed to the public long term. Just seems inefficient to neuter your market like that.

Bright lights big city....

Bay.jpg

Attachments

• Bay.jpg
    Bay.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,263
I was in the courtyard in-between the two BACs with my girlfriend and I had a migraine so we sat down. Later I layed down on the bench with my head on my girlfriend's thigh only to be asked by a security guard to sit up.

Also a year ago I was taking a picture of BAC west building from the base and was asked by a security guard to not take pictures.

I have never had any similar instances with any other building in financial district.

Chalk me down as another one who had issues with security guards and taking pictures of the building as it was under construction.
I simply crossed the street to the south side and snapped away because I was on public property.

The irony is that the plaza at BAC is very often overwhelmed by smokers from all the surrounding buildings, and depending on what kind of breeze their there is, the space can be quite unpleasant for non-smokers. Security objects to the occasional photography, but meanwhile the space sometimes resembles an alley next to a nightclub.

Last edited:
Some (but not all) security guards are quite stupid. They're poorly educated and paid, and they treat ordinary people poorly who aren't doing anything wrong. They want to prove their worth to their bosses, but they just show themselves to be the unaccomplished low lifes that they are.

Some (but not all) security guards are quite stupid. They're poorly educated and paid, and they treat ordinary people poorly who aren't doing anything wrong. They want to prove their worth to their bosses, but they just show themselves to be the unaccomplished low lifes that they are.
Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with that, though I'm not motivated enough to really get into it. I will say this, though: no matter how educated or accomplished, it is the rare, rare exception to meet someone who doesn't want to constantly prove their worth to their higher-ups. I'm in academia and super-educated sycophants abound.

Just sayin'. The security guards are just following orders, that is, doing what 99% of the working world has to do every day. Takes a real pair to not do that.

I too had been told that I could not take photos on this block, specifically when Bay-Adelaide West was going up. Of course, I think it's best to simply comply and be respectful of the rules enforced on what is formally private property. Despite the fact that Arnell Plaza is open to the public, it is still very much a POPS. Of course as soon as you cross the street, you are entitled to take as many photographs as you like.

Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with that, though I'm not motivated enough to really get into it. I will say this, though: no matter how educated or accomplished, it is the rare, rare exception to meet someone who doesn't want to constantly prove their worth to their higher-ups. I'm in academia and super-educated sycophants abound.

Just sayin'. The security guards are just following orders, that is, doing what 99% of the working world has to do every day. Takes a real pair to not do that.

If you're harassing people who aren't doing anything wrong, POPS or not, you're fair game for criticism. So is the entire organization, represented by the actions of its employees when they're following orders. It's not that there's anything wrong with wanting to prove your worth and being diligent. But no one is above criticism. At the end of the day, people choose who they work for. That's the risk you take following orders. Of course, those who give the orders should take the brunt of the criticism.

In truth, many security guards are smart and good people. It's quite unfair to paint everyone with the same brush, which wasn't my stated intention. Nonetheless, you're assuming the security guards were ordered not to permit any photography on the premises. Perhaps they were supposed to stop commercial photography or people from being photographed. Do we know for sure? Why deviate from the reasonable proposition that it's OK to photograph inanimate objects like the exteriors of buildings if no one's privacy is being compromised? It's fair to question the reasonableness of various policies.

It also says something about POPS when people are harassed for lying down to relax with their girlfriends or for taking pictures of buildings. That strikes me as a thumbs down for the concept in general. The owner sets the rules, which may be quite different from ordinary public spaces and are based on the owner's whims or interests. And the public must respect those rules because it's private property. With public spaces, the public can shape the standards of what's acceptable behaviour. It strikes me as better for the public.

Back