Toronto Backstage On The Esplanade | 116.73m | 36s | Cityzen | P + S / IBI

They are quite partial to the head-on view of the building from the west, and obviously want to protect the west and south views from the units in building itself. One resident was hoping for an arcaded sidewalk below 5-7 to shield her from the elements when they are inclement, but will have to make do with a canopied sidewalk. Other than that, little was said directly about 25, but these people would not have attended the meeting had they not cared about their domicile.

Can anyone draw where exactly this tower will sit? I walked down the Esplanade the other day and cannot seen to figure it out. Is this a condo building or an office tower?

WeirdFishes ... this site was originally proposed to be a office tower (for GO Transit), but has since been revised to a residential tower

...and it will be right at the southeast corner of Yonge and The Esplanade, putting it directly south of the L Tower.

There may not look like there is enough room for a tower there, but there is: it will eat into the railway embankment where several storage tracks were removed some years ago.

Can anyone draw where exactly this tower will sit? I walked down the Esplanade the other day and cannot seen to figure it out. Is this a condo building or an office tower?

If you ever want to identify an address in Toronto I suggest you use the official City map at: http://map.toronto.ca/imapit/iMapIt.jsp To get the addresses, and property boundaries, you have to tick off the appropriate boxes on rhs.

From City of Toronto Toronto East York Community Council:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-19704.pdf

AoD

PS: Merge with existing thread later.

Oh oh.
Kinda reminds me of a super cheapened One Bloor with that balcony design.
I see the that the balcony design on the south side gives a very slight leaning out effect. Again, a super cheap Ritz Carleton effect.
What really puts a knot in my stomach, is the podium. I know it's main function is to hold parked cars, but damn..
Does it have to look like that is what it does? Hopefully the model design shows this off better.
I wasn't overly enthralled with the first concept design but I sure would take it over this.
Perhaps the folks at 25 Esplanade are more comfortable with this design, but the future residents facing south at this across the steet will surely be royally pissed off.
What a wonderful opportunity this could have been to have something here that complimented the LTower's tower and 25 Esplanade's euorpean styled sidewalk archways.
Thank goodness the old girl on the mural at the side of the Old Spagehtti Factory will never see this.
It is just the architect's drawing at this point, but hopefully the materials used will spice this thing up a little.
Sorry old girl. Sometimes I miss not seeing you anymore. I've grown old with you and you have given me some great memories. You deserve better than this..

Granny:
Kinda reminds me of a super cheapened One Bloor with that balcony design.
I see the that the balcony design on the south side gives a very slight leaning out effect. Again, a super cheap Ritz Carleton effect.

Obviously you equate 'imitation of' or 'reminiscent of' as cheap. This is a personal bias of yours and not necessarily truly cheap in this example. For all you know, 5 & 7 Esplinade will be made of Marble, Crystal and Gold. (Though highly unlikely)

An Aston Martin Vanquish employs wheels an engine and doors just like a Volkswagen Golf but I would hardly call it a cheap effect.

Granny, that plan you are dumping on is no longer on the drawing board: since it was submitted in March 2009, the tower has been substantially redesigned and no longer includes that sweep in the balcony lines, or the same footprint even, so forget everything you have seen.

Castlepoint has promised UT new renders; we will put them up as soon as we have them. Read back a page for my description of the project as it currently stands, if that helps.

Thanks Interchange!
What a relief or should I say reprieve.
I had seen an earlier illustratration a number of months ago that looked different than this. I assumed this was now the updated version.
I wonder what the 25 Esplanade people saw recently, that seemed to generally please them.
Really looking forward to seeing that soon now.
Just had a an amusing thought. If this is that old ofa design, perhaps the Great Gulf people used it as inspiration for One Bloor. Now wouldn't that be ironic!

Granny:

Obviously you equate 'imitation of' or 'reminiscent of' as cheap. This is a personal bias of yours and not necessarily truly cheap in this example. For all you know, 5 & 7 Esplinade will be made of Marble, Crystal and Gold. (Though highly unlikely)

An Aston Martin Vanquish employs wheels an engine and doors just like a Volkswagen Golf but I would hardly call it a cheap effect.

How can I argue with that logic.
I'll bet you own a 'Rolex" that only cost 25 bucks, right?

Does anyone know when sales are expected to begin? Looking at the layout I think the only good views will be South and West on the upper floors?

I really want this building to get underway. It will add some much needed density to a relatively barren area AND, along with the L-Tower, fill out some gaps in the southeastern skyline. As soon as the parking lot just east of this site, next to the Novotel, becomes a tower, this neighbourhood will have a terrific feel.

Back