Toronto Art Shoppe Condos | 98.75m | 28s | Freed | a—A

The picture in the project thread thing at the top shows a street level rendering. And how is it “sanctimonious” to be frustrated about a problematic architecture trend? If that’s what you call sanctimonious, I wish everyone in the world was that sanctimonious.

That rendering is 2 years old from an older proposal

This rendering shows a bit of the northern portion of the street presence. The ground level glazing will be broken up by columns. That should add a bit of visual interest; better than just pure curtain wall glazing along the entire Yonge St side.

Art Shoppe Lofts Condos Terrace.jpg

Attachments

• Art Shoppe Lofts Condos Terrace.jpg
    Art Shoppe Lofts Condos Terrace.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,927
Last edited:
Where in the current renderings do you see said curtain wall glazing on Yonge?

I never said there is any. I implied that what is shown (the columns) is better (less monotonous) than just a straight, curtain wall street level (which many are complaining about on recent condos; or just all glazed street levels with mullions).

This rendering shows a bit of the northern portion of the street presence. The ground level glazing will be broken up by columns. That should add a bit of visual interest; better than just pure curtain wall glazing along the entire Yonge St side.

That’s a relief. I hope that’s indeed the case.

A Press Release:

WORLD RENOWNED DESIGNER KARL LAGERFELD PARTNERS WITH CD CAPITAL DEVELOPMENTS AND FREED DEVELOPMENTS ON HIS FIRST INTERIOR DESIGN INITIATIVE IN CANADA

Toronto, February 19, 2015 — CD Capital Developments and Freed Developments announced today an exclusive partnership with style icon Karl Lagerfeld to design the residential lobby spaces in the Art Shoppe Lofts + Condos, a new mixed use development at Yonge and Eglinton in Toronto, Canada. The first condominium project in North America to involve the creative direction of prolific designer Karl Lagerfeld, the Art Shoppe Lofts + Condos will include ‘Lobbies by Karl Lagerfeld’; two residential spaces that will reflect the designer’s exceptional style and eye for detail, with features, finishes and furnishings selected by one of the world’s most influential and iconic designers.

This exciting collaboration on the Art Shoppe Lofts + Condos marks Karl Lagerfeld’s first ever major project in the Canadian market. Working with the developers of the Art Shoppe Lofts + Condos, as well the project teams at architectsAlliance and Cecconi Simone, Karl Lagerfeld will be designing two lobby spaces, with plans to attend a media event and invitation-only launch celebration in Toronto, in early, April to kick off the project.

“We are especially honored to collaborate with Karl Lagerfeld – one of the world’s most celebrated and prolific designers – to execute the ‘Lobbies by Karl Lagerfeld’,” says Jordan Dermer, Managing Partner of CD Capital Developments. “My partner Todd Cowan and I approached the Art Shoppe Lofts + Condos with the goal to develop an iconic architectural landmark destination in the heart of Toronto. With the involvement of Karl Lagerfeld we are doing just that. A true pioneer of design, his mastery of fashion, photography and interior design are unparalleled. Combining property with possibility; it is this talent that will give the building a timeless identity and bring the ‘Lobbies by Karl Lagerfeld’ to life.”

“What I really like is what I’ve never done before,” says Karl Lagerfeld. “I am always looking for opportunities to expand my range of creative expression, and am excited by the opportunity to design this in Toronto, Canada as part of the Art Shoppe Lofts + Condos. I’m excited to be part of the CD Capital & Freed approach to the Art of Change.”

“We have always sought to find ways to partner in our developments with some of the great design minds of our generation, and share their style,” says Peter Freed of Freed Developments.
‘We look forward to sharing Karl Lagerfeld’s distinctively ultramodern, highly structured style for the Art Shoppe Lofts + Condos and believe that his premier Canadian condominium design will create spaces that will be valued by our residents, treasured by our City, and appreciated by the world.”

The Art Shoppe Lofts + Condos will be located at 2131 Yonge Street, in Toronto, Canada. It will feature a 28-storey tower on the north side of the property stepping down to a 12 storey mid-rise building of lofts to the south. Suite options in the development will range from studios to one and two bedrooms.

‘We look forward to sharing Karl Lagerfeld’s distinctively ultramodern, highly structured style for the Art Shoppe Lofts + Condos and believe that his premier Canadian condominium design will create spaces that will be valued by our residents, treasured by our City, and appreciated by the world.â€

I like Freed's developments, but the idea that a lobby design by Lagerfeld is more than something to be enjoyed by residents who purchase in the building makes Freed sound like he's really far up his own ass. It's a lobby in a private condominium for upper-middle-class purchasers--- an inherently private space. It's not a space that will be valued or enjoyed by anyone outside of the resident population and people who are enthusiastic about design. It's fair to point it out as a feature to be enjoyed by those fortunate enough to purchase in the building-- but please spare us the rhetoric about how it's a goodwill gesture and a betterment to the city and nation at large. The hyperbole in Toronto condo marketing makes my head spin sometimes.

Anyway, it's a good marketing piece to draw buyers to the project, no doubt about that. And a quotation from a press release still has nothing on the clueless and tasteless "Yonge+Rich" campaign.

I haven't commented on the design yet. Anyone see just a wee bit of NimbyTect c.2013 here?

Some of you have expressed relief that it's not just another glass window wall tower. Well, it is. Look closely at both the renderings and model. The extruded concrete (balcony etc) frames sit slightly off from the window wall. They merely frame the balconies and thus do not have any energy conservation benefits.

Would red brick on the aA building look better here, or the other places on Yonge? It gets very confusing where these red brick and aA buildings are supposed to go, other than everywhere in the City.

Have zero clue what Nimbytect even means...I'm guessing it's software for armchair architects...

I was at the Art Shoppe condos presentation centre on the weekend, the sales team advises that a "high end grocery store" has been signed and confirmed for the 2nd level space, they can not give the name at this time but an announcement is to be made shortly

The main floor will contain street oriented retail on north/west/south sides as well as lobby spaces, but the configurations have not been finalized yet as they are still working with the Karl Lagerfeld to determine the appropriate lobby design and size requirements ... this is the reason why renderings have not focused any details around the ground interface

With regards to the greenspace shown in the below rendering, a linear park / greenway will be dedicated along the eastern edge of the project such that a pedestrian connection will be provided between Soudan Avenue and Hillsdale Avenue as part of the Parkland Dedication requirements

7046-47170.jpeg
http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/art-shoppe-condos

Attachments

• 7046-47170.jpeg
    7046-47170.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 3,196
there was some mention that Lagerfeld may be designing just one of the lobbies, not both, which I find kind of odd.
but then again the other lobby could be a knock-off copy of the Lagerfeld designed one.

I was at the Art Shoppe condos presentation centre on the weekend, the sales team advises that a "high end grocery store" has been signed and confirmed for the 2nd level space, they can not give the name at this time but an announcement is to be made shortly

The main floor will contain street oriented retail on north/west/south sides as well as lobby spaces, but the configurations have not been finalized yet as they are still working with the Karl Lagerfeld to determine the appropriate lobby design and size requirements ... this is the reason why renderings have not focused any details around the ground interface

With regards to the greenspace shown in the below rendering, a linear park / greenway will be dedicated along the eastern edge of the project such that a pedestrian connection will be provided between Soudan Avenue and Hillsdale Avenue as part of the Parkland Dedication requirements

Thanks for the update! That's good stuff. Currently this spot is a bit of a dead-zone between Yonge & Eg and the retail & restaurants to the south. More people moving in, a grocery store, and more retail should revitalize it and hopefully connect the urban fabric a bit more.

On the Town with Shinan: Spending time in Toronto with a unicorn of fashion, Karl Lagerfeld

Karl Lagerfeld sure knows how to make an entrance, and he did just that when he arrived looking every bit like a Karl-bot come to life, icons always having the quality of looking like an extra-animated version of themselves. The Toronto party, held in his honour on Wednesday – the first time that Mr. Lagerfeld has stepped foot in Canada – was held near Yonge and Eglinton, a nabe that's sometimes referred to as 'Young and Eligible,' but on this night had officially morphed into 'Yonge and Electrifying.'

There were no known casualties at this particular party – save moi, perhaps. I died! – as Rachel Zoe might very well put it – when I came face-to-face with Karl, sitting down with him in a back room. Having come to town to promote the luxe lobby he's designing for the building we were in, courtesy of Freed Developments and CD Capital Developments, he talked passionately about the project, but also entertained a wide variety of topics.

Back