Toronto Aria | ?m | 19s | Fernbrook Homes | Rafael + Bigauskas

Went by the site last weekend. Not much has been going on for this project.

understandably ... it has been the Christmas + New Year holidays thus progress would be slower than normal (as with most offices too), I'm sure construction pace would pick up again in January :)

I actually had a chance to swing by the site today and they place was buzzing. I counted no less than 10 cement trucks plus a slew of other vehicles doing work on the cladding. They seem to be back up to full swing which is great news.

Attachments

• IMG00054-20100107-0918.jpg
    IMG00054-20100107-0918.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 341
Construction of Phase I building as of January 30, 2010

Attachments

• IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3686.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_3683.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 303
Thank you for the pictures. Actually they have started installing the windows on the first two floors. They look greenish and are quite nice actually. Unfortunately the very cold weather seem to have slowed the progress, which I understand completely.

Hopefully they'll start cladding the next few floors soon.

With respect to progress slowing, I know that when I passed by the site on Saturday there were a lot of workers there. I'd say I saw upwards of 30 cars parked on site, though there was no concrete being poured.

Also, they are at the point now where the floorplate changes (12th floor phase 1), so this may slow them down a bit but once it's all sorted they should fly on the remaining floors.

I'm liking how Aria Condominiums is shaping up ~ :)

Aria 1 @ 12th floor - Northwest + West + South Elevations
Click to Enlarge

Aria 2 @ 9th floor - West + South Elevations

Future Entrance Structure to be Located Between Aria 1+2

Some nifty windows detailing ~

Thanks again for the pictures Solaris. Due to some extensive travelling recently I didn't have a chance to oversee the progress but ... I like what I see. Still, the June deadline does not seem realistic. I'd say September-October.

I was driving East on Sheppard and wow, this thing is really starting to make an impact on the horizon. Add in the 18+ towers being built on the southwest corner, and the cluster already formed around Bayview Village, and this is going to be one busy place.

This is just proof that a subway line will attract development. If you build it, they will come.

How many people have moved into the Sheppard area in the last decade as a result of the subway? How many will have moved in five years from now in total...15,000? Would Bayview Village have had been 'reborn'? Would Ikea and Canadian Tire have built their massive new stores?

It's tough to argue with the Sheppard line now I think. I also believe the sub'urbanization' condos have been a terrific use of the land. Yes...it could have all been done much, much better... but that aside.... it's worked out well.

It's a lot better than sprawling into Ontario's hinterland. And it's and understatement to say that it's way, way, way, way better than what was there before.

Last edited:
I don't think that anyone has questioned the new land use here - intensification is a good thing - it's the architecture here that many of us are not fans of: Aria's fussy and pretentious historicist pastiche is a bit tough to stomach for those who would prefer not to see North York as a faked-up high-rise mansard nightmare.

Aria_render.jpg

Also, while I am not saying that no-one here will ride the subway, this complex does not strike me as one that was dependent on the subway's arrival: Concord Park Place is definitely more of a city kid than Aria. Aria strikes me more as the occasional rider who shows up in a fur coat and too much perfume whom other riders must give a wide berth.

Otherwise, yeah, I love Aria.

Also, while I am not saying that no-one here will ride the subway, this complex does not strike me as one that was dependent on the subway's arrival: Concord Park Place is definitely more of a city kid than Aria. Aria strikes me more as the occasional rider who shows up in a fur coat and too much perfume whom other riders must give a wide berth.

Okay, even I, a purchaser at Aria had to laugh at that bit.

Occupancy has been delayed again, this time from June to September for phase one and August to November for phase two. Phase one has about 4-5 stories more before topping out, and phase two is not far behind with about 6-7 to go.

There's been quite the progress of late.

I don't think that anyone has questioned the new land use here - intensification is a good thing - it's the architecture here that many of us are not fans of: Aria's fussy and pretentious historicist pastiche is a bit tough to stomach for those who would prefer not to see North York as a faked-up high-rise mansard nightmare.

Aria_render.jpg

The good news is, interchange, that people with the dream of living in disturbingly fancy and disfunctional layouts like the most downtows projects, will continue to buy them. For the rest of us, pretentious and fussy :), there are projects like this one. "Different strokes for different folks" they say.

Okay, even I, a purchaser at Aria had to laugh at that bit.

Occupancy has been delayed again, this time from June to September for phase one and August to November for phase two. Phase one has about 4-5 stories more before topping out, and phase two is not far behind with about 6-7 to go.

There's been quite the progress of late.

Given the status of construction do you think September is reasonable? Lets assume 6 weeks to top out (aggressive given that the weather could go either way) and then 4 months to complete all that is required to deliver occupancy...seems really aggressive.

The good news is, interchange, that people with the dream of living in disturbingly fancy and disfunctional layouts like the most downtows projects, will continue to buy them. For the rest of us, pretentious and fussy :), there are projects like this one. "Different strokes for different folks" they say.

Yes! Exactly as I predicted in post #66 on page 5. I should get paid for this.

this McMansard project could work like a giant piece of fly paper, pulling people who like this kind of architecture away from other more essential parts of town, making McMansard less likely to sprout SoBlo...

Hey, it's all subjective, and all in fun: it has to be when considering projects in Lastmanville.

Last edited:
Given the status of construction do you think September is reasonable? Lets assume 6 weeks to top out (aggressive given that the weather could go either way) and then 4 months to complete all that is required to deliver occupancy...seems really aggressive.

I think it will depend on whether they will allow people to move in on lower floors while the upper floors are unfinished. This took place in my current condo so I know it's possible. I think it's possible that the first units get occupancy for September, but certainly not the majority.

Cladding is fairly high on phase one right now at about the 8-10th floor, and they've started to install the windows and sliding doors on the first floor so it should be fully enclosed soon. I suspect once it's enclosed they can begin finishing the interiors.

So yes, it is possible, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think it will depend on whether they will allow people to move in on lower floors while the upper floors are unfinished. This took place in my current condo so I know it's possible. I think it's possible that the first units get occupancy for September, but certainly not the majority.

Cladding is fairly high on phase one right now at about the 8-10th floor, and they've started to install the windows and sliding doors on the first floor so it should be fully enclosed soon. I suspect once it's enclosed they can begin finishing the interiors.

So yes, it is possible, but I'm not holding my breath.

I guess if there's a will there will be a way...best of luck to them.

Back