Toronto Allure | 139.5m | 43s | Emblem Developments | Arcadis

Thanks! These are some of the marketing renderings by Emblem.

I was more curious to know what is the condition of the actual location site now that they’re launching soon. Have they started to prep for demolitions or businesses are still running there?
ALLURE Downtown.jpg
ALLURE Toronto Skyline.jpg
ALLURE - Retail Side.jpg
ALLURE Lobby.jpg
ALLURE Social Lounge.jpg
ALLURE Lobby 2.jpg
ALLURE Hero 2.jpg
ALLURE Hero.jpg

I know this should probably go in the other thread for the building but I saw the posted units and its 846 sq feet for a 3 bedroom. I actually laughed. Why we don't mandate sq ft minimums is beyond me.

1683229326826.png

I know this should probably go in the other thread for the building but I saw the posted units and its 846 sq feet for a 3 bedroom. I actually laughed. Why we don't mandate sq ft minimums is beyond me.

View attachment 474200

I’m guessing Harry Potter’s room to the left has a sliding glass door so it counts as a bedroom?

846sq feet is not much to work with for a 3 bedroom so I’m surprised they made the primary so much larger than the others.

Because that would have the opposite of the intended effect and actually decrease the overall number of multi-bedroom units proposed because of cost to construct.
Fair. Perhaps then we need to mandate ratio of units in a building. 50% 1 bed, 30% 2 bed, 20% 3 bed as an example. I don't have a perfect solution, but it feels as though something creative thinking is required. A future of ~850 sq feet 3 bedrooms units can't be it.

I’m guessing Harry Potter’s room to the left has a sliding glass door so it counts as a bedroom?

846sq feet is not much to work with for a 3 bedroom so I’m surprised they made the primary so much larger than the others.
The sliding glass door is required by code. It needs to have some natural light to be considered a bedroom.

Also, while I generally agree (I mean, we're moving towards 700sf 3brs...), I don't see this as excessively small or unlivable. I'm in a 730sf 2br and if you said you get 100 extra sf and another bedroom, I would take that as a happy upsize.

Fair. Perhaps then we need to mandate ratio of units in a building. 50% 1 bed, 30% 2 bed, 20% 3 bed as an example. I don't have a perfect solution, but it feels as though something creative thinking is required. A future of ~850 sq feet 3 bedrooms units can't be it.

The City already tries to secure a version of this — in most cases in larger scale buildings, they will ask for a 60/30/10 split, but even that is tough to make work on some sites.

The quadruple whammy of high construction costs, high interest rates, high land costs, and increasing government costs — with the added sprinkle on of some urban design and built form considerations that add costs — just unfortunately makes it a really difficult environment that leads to sub-optimal outcomes.

What the City could do is expand fee breaks to incentivize the things it wants to see; the Province just did a version of this on rental 2Bs and 3Bs but it’s not enough to make a big difference. The City has carrots at its disposal that it’s not using, partly because it has for the entirety of the boom relied on sticks.

On Permits:

Demo Permits have been in hand since August '22

New Build Permits are filed, and Shoring permit looks close to clearing (code outstanding)

Of course that will mean nothing w/o sales; and we will need to hear from @ProjectEnd whether there are any...............

Back