Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

Thanks to Meteor54 for the walk about photos! The set has 20 pictures.

See:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15643394@N05/tags/ismailicentre/

The set includes larger sized images (3072 x 2304)

Nice to see some final surface materials being added to the West side of the Ismaili Centre building. Looks like most of the area where the large glass sections will be required over the social hall space are covered with tarps.

Additionally - here is the catalog from the exhibition of a sample of the AKM collection in Berlin:
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/9df4bd6f#/9df4bd6f/1

Last edited:
New exhibition from the collection of the Aga Khan Museum to run from 30th March to 29th June 2012 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Focus of this exhibition is architecture (I think similar to what was in St. Petersburg, but different from most of the others that have happened to date).

http://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/event-at-islamic-arts-museum-malaysia-treasures-of-the-aga-khan-museum-architecture-in-islamic-arts/

As I've mentioned before, the relationships and collaboration that are being reinforced with these exhibitions develops a LOT of excitement of what traveling exhibits and cultural exchanges may show up in Toronto once the museum is completed there!

Thanks for the update Jim! Nice to see more progress on the cladding on the AKM / insulation layer on the ICT.

I just realized that we've not seen a night time rendering of the entire site. Looking at the structures, lighting could really enhance the materials / forms!

From this picture Jim took yesterday (March 22) it looks like cladding on the East side of the dome over the AKM's auditorium is up. Hard to tell what it really looks like though given lighting, etc.

Is the glow on the South side of the cultural centre's roof a reflection of morning sun, or is that internal lighting of some sort?

Looks like lots of progress on insulation on the cultural centre - much more pink now.

From this picture, it also looks like the scaffolding is gone from the NE corner of the museum.

Last edited:
Is the glow on the South side of the cultural centre's roof a reflection of morning sun, or is that internal lighting of some sort?

Reflection of the sun.. even when the jamaat khana is lit up, it's more of an understated dim lighting which doesn't scream for attention but still pulls your eyes to it.. I think it's very well done. BTW I'm not sure if it was purposely done, but the view of the jamaat khana is perfectly centred for a few seconds when you're driving north on the DVP.. always a nice treat to see when I head home, especially at night.

Reflection of the sun.. even when the jamaat khana is lit up, it's more of an understated dim lighting which doesn't scream for attention but still pulls your eyes to it.. I think it's very well done. BTW I'm not sure if it was purposely done, but the view of the jamaat khana is perfectly centred for a few seconds when you're driving north on the DVP.. always a nice treat to see when I head home, especially at night.

Thanks!

Regarding DVP line of sight, I'm certain those types of considerations would have been made by the calibre of architects we're talking about here. When Maki did the delegation building in Ottawa, he got a bike and rode around the lot approaching from all directions. Certainly Correa would have been just as thoughtful for the ICT design.

The Aga Khan is currently in Singapore, having made a brief stop in Kuala Lumpur to open up the most recent traveling exhibition of a selection of artifacts from the Aga Khan Museum collection. The following link has audio from a Malasian radio station having an interview with a representative of the Aga Khan Trust for Culture speaking specifically about the Aga Khan Museum. It is actually quite fascinating, including comments on the theme of light that the museum's design was created around.

http://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/talk-with-benoit-junod-a-representative-of-the-aga-khan-trust-for-culture/

The description provided at the link suggests most of the conversation is about the exhibition, however, it looks like it is more about the Toronto museum.

Thanks! You can also see the hexagonal "cheese grater" skylight shield on the ground in the pic immediately after the one you've posted in your photostream.

AoD

The largest of the trees, the only new tree seemingly planted into the ground, seems to be in-line with the prayer hall's front window.

Progress on the theatre dome is also evident in that second picture. I hope the final finish of that dome will look a little better though - is that the final metal cladding?

On the cultural centre side, you can see the frames for the dual layer skylight, with is a square with a smaller 45 degree rotated square on top. Not sure how the large skylight over top of the social hall is progressing, as that is directly behind the pyramidal dome.

Last edited:

Back