Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

If the inside of this complex is as detailed and intricate, as some of the other Ismaili centres around the world, this will really be something special.

Along with the rumoured Ingel/Westbank project nearby, Don Mills is going to have some real architectural gems. Great to see the 416's inner suburbs really maturing.

Agreed. Can anyone enter the prayer hall? Anyone out there that might know?

I believe people have been allowed to view the prayer hall during regularly scheduled tours at other Ismaili Centres. I can't imagine this would be any different. Certainly there would be rules in place, such as removing of shoes and the like.

I believe people have been allowed to view the prayer hall during regularly scheduled tours at other Ismaili Centres. I can't imagine this would be any different. Certainly there would be rules in place, such as removing of shoes and the like.

Thank you.

At the very least I am sure it will be open for Doors Open - can't imagine it not to. Unfortunate the view corridor from the hall got contaminated by two unattractive buildings...

AoD

Unfortunate the view corridor from the hall got contaminated by two unattractive buildings...

I had noticed that also. Certainly it would have been something thought out, and as such I believe there are more elements coming. First, I noticed on certain renderings that there seems to be unique looking trees (or perhaps one large tree) that is off the SW corner of the museum that seems to be aligned with that front opening on the prayer hall. Not sure if that is part of the plan. Second, I'm curious about the final finishing on that front wall. While having a clear 'qibla' wall looking into a garden is not unheard of in Muslim prayer house design, it is not the norm. I would expect that at least that lower portion to the height of the concrete would have added elements. Now sure.

Along with the rumoured Ingel/Westbank project nearby, Don Mills is going to have some real architectural gems. Great to see the 416's inner suburbs really maturing.

I think so too , you got science center not to far away, shops at don mills along with new curvy condo projects, and now Aga khan, i just hope there's more bold projects that happen in the future to further give the area character, do something with the streets so that you know you've arrived at don mills!

I think so too , you got science center not to far away, shops at don mills along with new curvy condo projects, and now Aga khan, i just hope there's more bold projects that happen in the future to further give the area character, do something with the streets so that you know you've arrived at don mills!

I should qualify my statement. The building formerly on this site, the Bata Building, was also a gem, but now Don Mills will have architectural and cultural destinations.

... now Don Mills will have architectural and cultural destinations.

There will definitely be more destinations for Torontonians and visitors to go and engage with, and that should help with the general vibrancy. While it is a number of years down the line, the Crosstown line (est. opening 2020) will certainly help!

Recent article about some of the construction challenges posed by the Museum.

Steel hurdles for Aga Khan Museum build
One of those hurdles was how to attach the steel frame for the second floor to the first floor — an inward-sloping poured-in-place concrete wall.

[snip]

Another challenge for the big steel fabricator/erector was the installation of six steel-framed hexagonal skylights. Made of an HSS steel frame, the offsite-assembled 4.7 by 4-metre shaped skylights had to be carefully erected and placed on sloped sections of the roof, says Morrison.

The museum’s new auditorium features a steel “dome-like†roof. The 18 by 18-metre frame was assembled in segments on site and hoisted by crane into place.

The steel engineer says the most challenging aspect of the project was Benson’s second contract — the fabrication and erection of the 16 by 16-metre glazed interior courtyard comprised of an architectural steel framing system.

I didn't realize how large those angled steel frame skylights are. 4.7m is over 15'! Similar to the Ottawa delegation building, Maki has several tricks for the eye in this building. The second floor angles are extenuated by slight opposite slopes on the main floor. The building is hard to size up as it is dominated by macro structures / shapes. It is larger in person than it seems in pictures because of these tricks - it overwhelms you in person.

walli:

Maki is well known for exactedness - there were similiar comments on the demands placed on contractors for the Ismali Imamat in Ottawa.

AoD

Back