Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

His Highness the Aga Khan will be in Ottawa later this week. I am hearing an UN-confirmed possible visit by the Aga Khan to Toronto to see the construction site. Would Jim Bowie please try and keep us updated... any pictures or any activity at the site would be helpful.

Will try and post more if I can.

Saturday shall be crisp but clear for a stroll in a park ;)

He arrived at 9:30 this morning and is there right now. They are all inside the museum.... drove directly underground.

I really hope they do an appropriate commemoration of the Bata building. North York required it for permission to tear it down.

I really hope they do an appropriate commemoration of the Bata building. North York required it for permission to tear it down.

Was the purpose of the demolition of the Bata building so that this new museum could be built?

Construction progress - inside and out!
http://www.theismaili.org/cms/1321/

Pictures from recent visit of the Aga Khan to the construction site:
http://www.theismaili.org/cms/1320/

ARTICLE
Garden in the city will draw from the past to connect communities today and tomorrow
www.theismaili.org/cms/1313/

For those with lazy fingers, a few sample pics from the links above:

All Photos credited to: Imara Wynford Drive Ltd / Moez Visram
4562.jpg

4560.jpg

4566.jpg

4571.jpg

4568.jpg

4572.jpg

There are many more pics and a very nice story at the links, so encourage people to check them out!

Last edited:
After seeing the picture of those stairs, I thought it would have been neat to see progress from the inside of the auditorium also. Perhaps the next time they do a full set like this. Looking at the drawings (here) you see that the stairs are not in the dome area itself, and the space under the dome will be much higher (looks like 50% higher). That, though not as large as the prayer hall by a long shot, could also be a very cool space for events!

There are some great events spaces when you look at the whole project. The auditorium, the gardens, as well as the social hall and roof top terrace on the ICT side. I have a feeling there is a lot of thoughtfulness on the ICT side that will only be revealed when the project is completed. While it may sometimes seem annoying, there is something to be said for a few pleasant surprises to be left for the 'reveal' also!

Back