Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

Transit

Does anyone have the latest information regarding planned transit enhancements around this project? My prior recollection was that stations for the Eglinton Crosstown line were being planned at Don Mills and at Wynford. I suppose if that is still the case, I suppose the Don Mills station would be closest. Latest news (and possibly a map) would be helpful!

The current routes I can see that service this site include 25, 34, 100, 144, and a few others.

Last edited:
We haven't seen any close-up pics since the exterior glass started going up on the prayer hall roof structure. Wondering if I could coax anyone to take a walk out that way? Such a walk around could also reveal any updates on the large angled skylight over the multi-purpose social hall, which is unfortunately directly blocked from view from Jim's balcony. You can see it on the left end of this rendering:

130.jpg

Lastly, any signs of anything remotely looking like final exterior materials on the museum side?

The museum still has the pink covering - although almost all of the entire building is now covered with it. The same pink material is also being placed on the prayer hall side (extreme left side of the above picture). It is interesting though, as it appears there isn't see any black paint on these walls prior to the pink material going on (as was done on the museum side).

Taken today. This is a massive site with many interesting details.

I didn't manage to get any photos from the Southern side since I didn't have my hard hat or steel toe boots on (not that I own a pair anyhow).

Looking from the West end.
AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-2.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-1.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-3.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-5.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-6.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-7.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-8.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-9.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-10.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-11.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-12.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-13.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-14.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-15.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-16.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-18.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-19.jpg

aga-pano1.jpg

AGA-KHAN-MUSEUM-04-11-2011-17.jpg

Last edited:
^^ Wow! Fantastic photo update!

Lots of things happening on the West side of the site that we don't often get to see. Looks like they have not really started on the large angled skylight on top of the social hall space - perhaps focusing on the prayer hall dome first. Really wondering what the final materials will look like. Other than glass, we've not really seen that yet. I recall that the dome on the performance theatre of the museum will be clad with metal, perhaps as a counter point / reflection or facet of the dome on the prayer hall. The two buildings are quite the contrast, to the point that they really fit well together. Lots to reflect on!

The big crane came down today, and it looks like the marble facing is going up....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.305780202782362.102729.129700287057022&type=1

Great work capturing the dismantling of the crane. That truck mounted crane used to do this is a monster!

November 14, 2011 Photo by Jim Bowie:

Regarding the cladding, it is difficult to see what it is like from this distance and given the minimal amount applied to this point. I suppose I should wait at least a few days before requesting anyone to go take a wonder again :)

These buildings look like they would fit right in at EPCOT in Walt Disney World. All we need is Rob Ford's monorail.

Wondering if there are any design documents that were submitted to the city that are publicly available and could be posted?

Regarding the theatre dome on the Museum side, does anyone know what type of finish / look is being expected for the metal cladding? Would it be a Frank Gehry type finish?

How is the Museum cladding going?

Back