Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

I have to agree. Reputations and other projects aside, there is every indication that this project is seriously stalled (with no reason provided) or just plain dead.

alklay:

If it is dead, one would imagine it would be taken off Aga Khan PR lit pronto - it's still front and centre.

Not going to speculate on the reason behind the delays, however.

AoD

alklay:

If it is dead, one would imagine it would be taken off Aga Khan PR lit pronto - it's still front and centre.

Not going to speculate on the reason behind the delays, however.

AoD

Very true. Although I would be the last person surprised if this never comes to be.

Heck, there is not even a public sign on the site indicating the project to come.

interchange: Khan, you bloodsucker. You're going to have to do your own dirty work now! Do you hear me? Do you?

Khan: Kirk? You're still alive, my old friend?

interchange: Still, "old friend!" You've managed to kill everyone else, but like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target!

Khan: Perhaps I no longer need to try, Admiral.
[beams the Genesis device away]

interchange: Khan... Khan, you've got Genesis, but you don't have me. You were going to kill me, Khan. You're going to have to come down here. You're going to have to come down here!

Khan: I've done far worse than kill you, Admiral. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her; marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet... buried alive! Buried alive...!

interchange: KHAAANNNN!

[echo]
interchange: KHAAANNNN!

It would be a mistake to believe that I am only aware of this Aga Khan project, or that I am dismissing his vision and reputation. My complaint is merely that we have had no official information or movement on this project in ages, and that complaint is valid no matter what the Aga Khan's vision or reputation is, no matter what other projects of his are progressing (or have been completed) around the world.

Or because the Aga Khan is involved, am I not allowed to lodge a complaint at all? That seems to be the implication in some posts here.

Apologies, interchange42. I wasn't specifically directing my comments towards you. Of course you have a right to inquire as to why the project has not yet broken ground...

I am not trying to be facetious 3xotic: official as in a visit from the Aga Khan for a sod-turning, or a website bursting with renderings and promises, or at least a press release with more specifics. Toronto Life is a third party source, and the article you reference isn't even about the projects here - this is an aside in a report on the local neighbourhood. Who knows how current Toronto Life's info is?

Thanks for highlighting the mention 3xotic. While it is not a press release, it certainly is an indication. I'd hope that Toronto Life would have checked with the appropriate offices before publishing - which is the benefit of the doubt we extend to the numerous project mentions in the media that are posted every day on the various threads of UrbanToronto. I believe Toronto Life has been well engaged on the broader project as they also included the AKM portion in their "50 reasons to love Toronto" article from June of this year.

I am happy to inform you all that the Aga Khan will be opening the Ismaili Centre counterpart in Dushanbe ( the 5th centre to date) on October 12th, 2009.

This is indeed great news. With completion now finished on the other two centres, it is anticipated with much eagerness that the Ismaili Centre in Toronto, will finally break gound sooner than later.

I look forward to that day!

But how much sooner than later? Years? Milliseconds? And how late is later? Some help, please...

The Aga *Khan Ismaili Centre should now be known as the: Aga *Khan't Ismaili Centre.

I however, am happy to inform you all that nothing has happened so far. No new plans, no renderings, no official press releases detailing plans, no new concept drawings to show progress is being made, no website updates, no official sod-turning events, no events period.

All we have to go on is walli's and 3xotic's bimonthly comments about how it will proceed soon.

Wake me when I am dead!

p5

Last edited:
No new plans, no renderings, no official press releases detailing plans, no new concept drawings to show progress is being made, no website updates, no official sod-turning events, no events period.

There will be no 'new plans' or 'new concept drawings' for the Ismaili Centre as my understanding is all of that is complete (many millions have already been spent on design). While there might be a pinch more to do for the museum, there will certainly not be any more 'concept drawings'.

I share your frustrations on timing, but there certainly must be variables unknown to us. 3xotic's information on the major centre in Dushanbe if indeed true (I've only that info on unofficial sites, though it may pan out) is positive - looking forward to seeing details of that centre as it will provide insight into the thought process for the one in Toronto.

My understanding with respect to Maki and Correa, agreements dictate that they cannot share too many details directly (EG via their web-sites) till later in the process. I do note that Correa highlights the Toronto centre on his '50 years of architecture poster'.

Anyone on the list have an ear in city hall that might be able to give us any more information?

Back