Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

northto:

Oh wait, I just realized you might be referring to the Ismali Centre and not the museum - sorry I have misinterpreted. It does look like sandstone fronts the vehicle lay-by.

AoD

northto:

Oh wait, I just realized you might be referring to the Ismali Centre and not the museum - sorry I have misinterpreted. It does look like sandstone fronts the vehicle lay-by.

AoD

Is that sandstone? I'm not sure if that is the final material or not. I like the wood-like beams over the top.

See:
https://picasaweb.google.com/104846363423995421569/AgaKhanWynfordParkConstructionProjects19#5767914520326419906

The cladding on most of the ismaili centre (foreground) looks similar to the museum, though in many of the renderings it looked more like sandstone to me. Note that I'm only seeing the project through pictures.

The most recent photos showed continued work on the theatre dome and the other portion that is somewhat elevated above the primary roof-line. Those are the areas where there is a different type of cladding. Has it progressed to where we can see some of the final materials on these areas?

Went by yesterday and they are continuing to work on the roof but the final materials have not been installed yet:

Last edited:
Kinda wish the building itself had some colour (or is it getting some in the future?) but overall it's a great addition to reinforce the city as a diverse and cultural hotspot.

Kinda wish the building itself had some colour (or is it getting some in the future?) but overall it's a great addition to reinforce the city as a diverse and cultural hotspot.

My recollection is that the museum is going to have metallic contrasts on the various roof elements (dome, angled skylights, other raised section of the roof, etc.). Recalling the Ismaili centre building, the contrasts are really in the glass, IE large angled glass over the social hall, the obvious glass "ice-berg", etc. Beyond that, I think what will really be interesting is how all of the gardens and water features come into play.

It looks closed off to the city. Will it become an exclusive social club or will it really embrace and engage with citizens? I'm just wary of concrete bunkers I guess....

LOL.. if you're comparing it to a concrete bunker why would you want to go anyway? Maybe it looks closed off to the city because it's a construction site, but hopefully it will look more inviting to you once the gardens and reflecting pools are installed.

Tangential ...

Looks like there are two more career openings related to the Aga Khan Museum. See:
http://sh.webhire.com/Public/736/

One is a Communications Manager (AKTC, Canada) and a second is for Production Manager (AKTC, Canada). The production manager is an interesting one in that it provides a flavour of one aspect of the operation of the museum.

The Production Manager answers to the Head of the Department and works closely with the Performing Arts Manager to ensure that artistic programming of the department is fulfilled and that cross-museum production needs are met; including the lighting and other technical challenges of exhibitions.

The Production Manager is primarily responsible for realizing the visions of the performing arts department as well as rental events and other departments of the Aga Khan Museum (AKM), education, the executive office and exhibitions), within the constraints of technical possibility. This involves coordinating the operations of various production sub-disciplines (scenic, wardrobe, lighting, sound, projection, automation, video, pyrotechnics, stage management, etc.) of the event. The Production Manager is also responsible for the coordination and smooth operation of the production team, the Technical Director and the crew.

I think the fact that the museum will have a performing arts manager is somewhat unique. How many other museums have a performing arts manager?

Latest construction gallery:

https://picasaweb.google.com/104846363423995421569/AgaKhanWynfordParkConstructionProjects20#

[EDIT]

I was reviewing some of the pictures in detail / zooming in and the like ... looks like there has been a lot of progress on the landscaping. Additionally, it really looks like the landscaping is not straightforward - is a very substantial aspect of the construction / project overall! Will be nice to see in a few days time when all of the newly delivered trees are up

Last edited:
Thanks Walli - the complex has a really nice presence to it, and love the way the stone cladding reflect and acquire the hue of the light. I fully expect this project to be featured in various International architectural journals.

AoD

June 12, 2011

img6917q.jpg

Slippy - would love to see the project from the vantage you had in this picture from last year, especially given the work happening on the landscaping as well as portions of the cultural centre that are best seen from this angle (pointing a pinch more left). If you have access to this view, please snap a pic fr us!

Last edited:

Back