Toronto Ace Hotel Toronto | 44.8m | 13s | Carbon Hospitality | Shim-Sutcliffe

I've stayed at a few Aces, and one thing each of those does extremely well is provide a lively program at the ground level. In NYC and London, it's almost like a pseudo-public co-working space, with yuppie millennials hovered over their Macbooks at a communal table whilst sipping too-bitter espresso; in Pittsburgh, it's a delicious laid back restaurant spilling out into the lobby seating and check-in areas; in Palm Springs it's a literal bustling swim club.

In the way they've both designed and programmed each of those spaces, they've been able to strike the right balance to have an unusually lively ground level experience, which is of course lovely. I'm excited for them to bring that here, and I like that you'll in fairly short order be able to spill out from that experience to the Waterworks Food Hall, revitalized St. Andrew's Park, and the ever-bustling King St. (soon-ish to be even more so with the impending arrival of BIG KW).

I've stayed at a few Aces, and one thing each of those does extremely well is provide a lively program at the ground level. In NYC and London, it's almost like a pseudo-public co-working space, with yuppie millennials hovered over their Macbooks at a communal table whilst sipping too-bitter espresso; in Pittsburgh, it's a delicious laid back restaurant spilling out into the lobby seating and check-in areas; in Palm Springs it's a literal bustling swim club.

In the way they've both designed and programmed each of those spaces, they've been able to strike the right balance to have an unusually lively ground level experience, which is of course lovely. I'm excited for them to bring that here, and I like that you'll in fairly short order be able to spill out from that experience to the Waterworks Food Hall, revitalized St. Andrew's Park, and the ever-bustling King St. (soon-ish to be even more so with the impending arrival of BIG KW).

This is what makes me so excited about this. I live across the street! I work from home most days and have been searching for a good spot to spend an hour or so a day getting out of my home office and out in the world. I sometimes go to Shangri-La, other times Impact Kitchen.If Ace has some good teas on the menu and the occasional live music, I've totally found my new hangout spot, 22 seconds from my front door.

while I think the outside of this building is a tad bit boxy, i love the red, i love the high quality curtain wall glass windows, i like the multi-direction brick laying. and i'm THRILLED about the opening of an ACE in toronto. Ace isn't a stuffy/traditional 5 star like a ritz, 4 seasons or mandarin oriental.. the rooms are often small and have bunkbeds, but the public spaces and restaurants are always amazing. Ace nomad in new york has 2 phenomenal restaurants and a great coffee shop, the ace in LA has one of the coolest most exciting lobbies and rooftops. I'm SO excited for toronto to have something like this, and with the Thompson Toronto closing, this will be the new cool spot.

(also - cuddos to an american brand for selecting a local architect)

I stayed at the Ace in New Orleans and I had a great time. Not your typical boutique hotel. They like to emphasize the local culture, and in Nawlin‘s deeply rooted history in music, they offer free awesome music concerts and dance classes in their music hall multiple times a week. That location also has an excellent roof top pool, restaurant and lounge that often has a DJ during the day. The rooms were outfitted with vintage turntables with a nice selection of 70’s, 80’s and jazz/blues vinyl (in addition to the built in speakers which you can pipe in the cool music playing throughout the hotel at a flick of a switch), and the rooms had a cool moody vintage feel to them, though the all-black bathrooms (including black toilets) didn’t appeal to the clean-freak like me.
Yes, it was a hipster haven, but it was done so well and didn’t feel pretentious and not too played up.

Looks like they messed up on the colour placement of the spandrel panels on the upper two floors of the west facade in addition to the two mismatched window panels, but I‘m sure that will be fixed.

Nov 1, 2019

DSC04470.JPG

DSC04471.JPG

DSC04472.JPG

DSC04475.JPG

DSC04476.JPG

DSC04477.JPG

DSC04480.JPG

DSC04479.JPG

DSC04481.JPG

DSC04484.JPG

DSC04492.JPG

Is there anything planned for the adjacent spot in the near future?

Back