Hamilton 92 John Street North | 104.5m | 31s | Emblem Developments | Studio JCI

I guess they have an approval, but that does not necessarily mean that construction is soon to follow?

These guys have moved very fast in the past after getting site plan approval. Someone can look it up, but it had so have been in the 2-3 months range.

I wonder when we'll see sales start here 🤔

Part of me will one day miss the vast expanses of parking lots - it allowed you to sorta appreciate the buildings around you and the backs o them that would just otherwise never be focused on. When was the last time anyone noticed the textile factory building in that now almost completely built block by caroline?

I also wish google maps could rewind into the far past - like the movie "lucy" - I'd love to be able to move around in 1800s hamilton - lots of factories downtown back then.

Also very DIRTY back then - factories belching coal, unpaved dirt roads, horse refuse everywhere. The alienist netflix series is a great indicator of how hamilton was back then, and most cities back then.

Last edited:
Part of me will one day miss the vast expanses of parking lots - it allowed you to sorta appreciate the buildings around you and the backs o them that would just otherwise never be focused on. When was the last time anyone noticed the textile factory building in that now almost completely built block by caroline?

I also wish google maps could rewind into the far past - like the movie "lucy" - I'd love to be able to move around in 1800s hamilton - lots of factories downtown back then.

Also very DIRTY back then - factories belching coal, unpaved dirt roads, horse refuse everywhere. The alienist netflix series is a great indicator of how hamilton was back then, and most cities back then.
You have quite a bit of runway before that no-vast-expanses day comes...

I will be first to admit that I am among those most skeptical that anything of substance would ever be built in the north east quadrant of downtown, especially out as far as Wilson and Hughson. My entire life that has been nothing but surface parking lots (and now one sad park). Can't wait to see them all go.

You have quite a bit of runway before that no-vast-expanses day comes...
Ironically Hamilton once had a runway - although I think it was farther east - airport was originally right in Hamilton itself - well what qualified for an "airport back then" a landing strip for small planes I suppose..

it seems strange to think of all these plots having something on them - but at lot of what is being built on isn't friendly to the average person - its condos and buildings with surface stores that will never be filled with anything, or anything the average person might utilize. I miss stores where you went to buy stuff lol.

I want to see more rowhouse type stuff build - where there are shops actually filled every like 8 feet. I want to be able to walk and browse and not feel like I have to walk blocks past giant monoliths just to get to anything - where each monolith its its own massive store - its one thing I hate about Toronto.

I envision downtown just "Vranich"ed and all the first floors of everything is empty. Hell we're still waiting or building to have tenants in the cores - olympia club? the right house? It's bizarre - we have one of the emptiest cores ever where barely anything around gore park is actually filled with anything the average person can walk into and utilize. The only thing you can utilize mainly are banks. And fast food joints.

Honestly, retail will come when there are enough residents to drive demand of all sorts of uses. There is enough existing vacant retail space to be filled up with shops of all sizes, and even some spaces that could be converted to more residential (I am looking at you Jackson Square, well at least a portion of it).

BTW I do believe the old Hamilton Airport was in the Roxborough Neighbourhood (east end near the bottom of the escarpment, odd choice for an airport location)

Honestly, retail will come when there are enough residents to drive demand of all sorts of uses. There is enough existing vacant retail space to be filled up with shops of all sizes, and even some spaces that could be converted to more residential (I am looking at you Jackson Square, well at least a portion of it).

BTW I do believe the old Hamilton Airport was in the Roxborough Neighbourhood (east end near the bottom of the escarpment, odd choice for an airport location)
Only time will tell.. and yes location wise you are correct.

There should always be as much retail space as possible in my personal opinion. I'm currently in Europe and almost every single block has multiple retail units. This large supply keeps prices low and allows far more local businesses to thrive. I don't want Hamilton to turn into Toronto where too few retail spaces leads to the franchisification of commercial.

There should always be as much retail space as possible in my personal opinion. I'm currently in Europe and almost every single block has multiple retail units. This large supply keeps prices low and allows far more local businesses to thrive. I don't want Hamilton to turn into Toronto where too few retail spaces leads to the franchisification of commercial.
I want to see them more densely packed - I should be able to enter a store every dozen feet or so imo - the building they made across from the tivoli is a good example of that - emulating rowhousing type walkability.

Back