Toronto 900 St Clair West | 43.69m | 12s | Canderel | BDP Quadrangle

It doesn't look incredible, but it's not bad. I like the use of brick all the way up.

The architecture is always cheaper on dedicated rental buildings - they just don't have the budget that condos do.

Old One:
900stclairwstrne1920-jpg.61811

New One:
20040-86630.jpeg

You tell me. Does this look better? Higher quality? I would say that the process is the cheapening of the finishes and blunting of the architecture to lower costs. The Developer would be the one to blame.

It doesn't look incredible, but it's not bad. I like the use of brick all the way up.

The architecture is always cheaper on dedicated rental buildings - they just don't have the budget that condos do.

Actually, while there is some truth to this currently, it's going to change drastically in the coming years as more and more purpose-built rental comes online. The logic is that if a developer is going to keep an asset on its books and in its marketing material (if they don't sell or contract the asset to a property management company), it's going to become increasingly incumbent on them that buildings are of a quality that reflects the aspirations of their creator(s). In this vein (and from everyone I know) the next generation of rental buildings are going to become more, not less, interesting.

Old One:

New One:

You tell me. Does this look better? Higher quality? I would say that the process is the cheapening of the finishes and blunting of the architecture to lower costs. The Developer would be the one to blame.

The real question is: did you expect that it was going to look like the initial rendering?

Once a building begins the municipal process the city is going to demand certain things, the developer must then revisit the design, program & resulting costs, the architect is going to have to find ways to comply, and the finished project is going to change. Remember, because of this process (essentially unique to Toronto in terms of its complexity and uncertainty), what is initially proposed is almost never what is built so expectations have to be adjusted accordingly. This building in particular has not had an easy time with Planning and many changes to the initial concept were demanded by the department. In light of this, 'cheapening' is a facile and neanderthalic term for what is actually very complex and multi-layered negotiation.

But yeah, let's just 'blame' someone / thing, it sure seems to be working south of the border...

Looks pretty decent, and contributes to the incremental intensification along St. Clair.

On the topic of rental building qualities. The various Oben Flats projects across the city are certainly setting a higher standard. Likewise with the initiatives being established by Westbank on the Honest Ed's/Mirvish Village redevelopment.

Interesting seeing those random satellite dishes and AC units on the building. I suppose there was some miscommunication?

I think this is a building which will turn out quite nicely as long as the window and brick quality is good.

The brick facade gives the building an unusual rustic or industrial character, which is likable. The setbacks also help give it an identity. But it looks like it's missing a focal point beyond the glass section, which seems out of place and unresolved. The building somehow looks bland even with the bricks and setbacks, like it could be some forgettable 1990s PoMo infill project.

I think all Main and Main projects would be on hold unless they were the few not sold last week.
Construction has started on Dundas and Aukland site

Back