Toronto 9 Benlamond | 16.91m | 4s | 12850938 Ontario Inc | Studio JCI

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Not my usual type of App. reporting, more of an @AlbertC special.

A bit bigger than 'missing middle' but only slightly.

But a relatively ambitious ask.

This is a proposal for a 4-storey, 16-unit, purpose-built rental, that would exist on what is currently one single family home lot with Neighbourhood zoning.

The lot is, however, beside an existing, low-rise, purpose built rental and less than 1/2 a block from the Main Street bus route.

Site as is:

1682426718400.png

Given how deep and woodsy the lot is, I wanted to get a better shot than this and had to go back to April 2009:

1682426792260.png

Note the extreme depth here, and that this home and those adjacent are all backing onto a ravine.

Aerial Pic:

1682427873443.png

That said, the App:

1682426885061.png

From the Docs:

1682427069767.png

1682427106377.png

1682427160630.png

1682426975736.png

* note the significant error above, the unit total is 16, not 116!

Comments: I support the idea here, but I would imagine an objection from the neighbours, the 13M height ask, plus the removal of several trees (though all the removals are non-native, invasive, except for a dead tree), plus relatively low parking provision, will likely draw hackles.

My only personal negative is that driveway which I feel really diminishes the front and the landscaping potential of this building; but there is no practical way to address that without removing the parking entirely. (the lot is insufficiently wide to permit rear surface parking, and no one will support a parking lot out front.

I wonder if the front couldn't be reduced to a single parking parking pad reserved for carshare? Hmmm.

The proposed building would not encroach on the ravine land, and the stewardship plan is broadly reasonable (predominantly native planting is proposed).

Neat! I had no idea this street/place existed until now. Just browsing the surroundings on Google it looks like there's several lowrise apartment buildings of comparable density clustered around Main Street. Hope they get this approved.

A “proposed demo-victing of 3 young families” is what this development should be entitled as. I’m sure these developers aren’t going to offer any real solution to the housing crises in Toronto in general, or put in any accessible units geared to income. As a nearby resident, our units are renting for over $2000 now. This project will disturb my life and wellbeing as well, due to the heavy construction and the aftermath of how this will affect the street’s dynamic. It will undoubtedly restrict my accessible usage of the street and create barriers for me due to all the debris and machinery for probably a number of years if this is approved. If these housing developers gave some monetary compensation for disrupting everyone affected and the natural habitats for something that looks like another dark, dreary jail that has 6 measly parking spaces, maybe I wouldn’t feel this way. The last thing I want as a Torontonian with a medical condition is to be paying more to live here and have no reasonable enjoyment of my home and my neighbourhood which has adequate greenspace compared to a lot of other areas. This is a residential street and already has a small condo development. It is relatively quiet though there is a lot of traffic where the church is (directly across from the Tenants who currently live in the house), it is troublesome for people to find parking generally and there is no accessible parking on this street, nor have any of these considerations been mentioned on the application since during and after the building process the parking is a necessary factor to oversee. The duration and specifics of the construction process hasn’t been made into a timetable for the impacted neighbours to read up on to plan our lives around it…many of us now work from home and could not with a construction site next door and underground. The placement of this proposed development gives no benefit to the busy corner of this residential street and is too near to the larger apartments surrounding it with approximately 60 units. The height of this development will diminish the natural sunlight, privacy and pleasant view from the existing buildings on top of inconveniencing the whole neighbourhood with construction noise. Find a larger vacant space for this development and benefit the citizens rather than just your own pockets. Make it worthwhile. This is just going to be a headache as it’s going to affect so many at this time.

Join the meeting and make your voice heard in support of development

Bad link above - here is the good link -

9 Benlamond Avenue - Community Consultation Meeting​

Monday, June 12, 2023 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM

A “proposed demo-victing of 3 young families” is what this development should be entitled as. I’m sure these developers aren’t going to offer any real solution to the housing crises in Toronto in general, or put in any accessible units geared to income. As a nearby resident, our units are renting for over $2000 now. This project will disturb my life and wellbeing as well, due to the heavy construction and the aftermath of how this will affect the street’s dynamic. It will undoubtedly restrict my accessible usage of the street and create barriers for me due to all the debris and machinery for probably a number of years if this is approved. If these housing developers gave some monetary compensation for disrupting everyone affected and the natural habitats for something that looks like another dark, dreary jail that has 6 measly parking spaces, maybe I wouldn’t feel this way. The last thing I want as a Torontonian with a medical condition is to be paying more to live here and have no reasonable enjoyment of my home and my neighbourhood which has adequate greenspace compared to a lot of other areas. This is a residential street and already has a small condo development. It is relatively quiet though there is a lot of traffic where the church is (directly across from the Tenants who currently live in the house), it is troublesome for people to find parking generally and there is no accessible parking on this street, nor have any of these considerations been mentioned on the application since during and after the building process the parking is a necessary factor to oversee. The duration and specifics of the construction process hasn’t been made into a timetable for the impacted neighbours to read up on to plan our lives around it…many of us now work from home and could not with a construction site next door and underground. The placement of this proposed development gives no benefit to the busy corner of this residential street and is too near to the larger apartments surrounding it with approximately 60 units. The height of this development will diminish the natural sunlight, privacy and pleasant view from the existing buildings on top of inconveniencing the whole neighbourhood with construction noise. Find a larger vacant space for this development and benefit the citizens rather than just your own pockets. Make it worthwhile. This is just going to be a headache as it’s going to affect so many at this time.
Well put - the supposed goal of affordability is put lie to by the demoviction. The Gold Rush continues at the cost of us all.

This is like some NIMBY copypasta. It's always funny when it's super clear that a person has created various online accounts just to complain about nearby housing being built

Reactions: mdu
I live in the building next to this one, so I can speak as someone who will be directly impacted by the construction.
Yes it will be a nuisance, but I'm sorry, this is the type of building the city needs right now. Better than another 40-story abomination.
That being said, I'm hoping that the existing families will be fairly compensated, and that the developers don't screw up the internal layouts (the famous "sliding door with no window = bedroom" examples we so often see in new builds). And only 06 parking spaces for what I assume are units meant for families is a joke though. A bad sign that they will be squeezing as much space as possible to cater to investors. We will see...

That being said, I'm hoping that the existing families will be fairly compensated, and that the developers don't screw up the internal layouts (the famous "sliding door with no window = bedroom" examples we so often see in new builds).

While we don't have the detailed floor plan in the Architectural Drawings, we do have the unit sizes, and they are decently large:

1718209034967.png

1718209079283.png

Nothing smaller than 935ft2.

And only 06 parking spaces for what I assume are units meant for families is a joke though. A bad sign that they will be squeezing as much space as possible to cater to investors. We will see...

The current proposal is 8 parking spaces, but 2 are 'visitor'.

The parking ratio is fairly normative, if not a bit above average at 0.37 per unit

@Paclo

This one had another tweak (resubmission) in May:

From the Cover Letter:

1718208787580.png

1718208820714.png

1718208846908.png

New Render:

1718208915127.png

Back