img_-8918.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 641
  • img_-8921.JPG
    img_-8921.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 614
  • img_-8923.JPG
    img_-8923.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 635
I hadn't really noticed how well this building complements the north tower of the BCE duo until I saw Razz's photo. The bottom east portion of the tower even has a trompe l'oeil thing going with the aspect of three smaller buildings in ascending order giving a added sense of depth to the east side downtown panorama.

I dunno, I think it looks sloppy and incomplete from afar, and quite good from up-close at grade. They could've had something roundly good if they finished with a crown that solidly announced the building's presence; instead, the top is the weakest part and, for me, ruins the whole notion of the building when viewed from distance.

Last edited:
I agree with ADRM, the top of the building is a cop out; it's an awkward finish that ruins what might have been an engaging addition to the area.
Well they should have kept the original design, but for some reason the city didn't like it:confused:
Here are the teaser shots:

88ScottTeaserCard640.jpg

88ScottTeaserSky179.jpg

I agree with all of the comments above. My biggest complaint all along has been their colour selection for the window frames and glazing. The building's overall architectural design is impressive, except for the crown finish which could have been a bit more dramatic, as others have mentioned. Where 88 Scott loses points for me is the fenestration. It looks very pale and blasé. It will lighten up even more more when the building is fully occupied with the white drapes showing, instead of the transparent see through appearance it has now. However, a deep blue reflective glass exterior, not unlike what Monde has, would really have set this building apart. As it is, it's just ok, but it could have been so much better.

I think that original crown wouldn't have looked quite as nice as the renders suggested given the cladding they used. In most lighting we would be hard pressed to see the set-backs and it would likely end up looking more or less like it does now. It WOULD however have given it a great profile from the east end.

I hadn't really noticed how well this building complements the north tower of the BCE duo until I saw Razz's photo. The bottom east portion of the tower even has a trompe l'oeil thing going with the aspect of three smaller buildings in ascending order giving a added sense of depth to the east side downtown panorama.

actually I hadnt noticed how the stepped top of this building actually takes it's cue from BCE to the south until you mentioned it... what I had picked up on before is how the stepped precast sections on the lower part of the building imitate the same feature on 1 King East. Now when I look at Razz's picture 88 Scott looks like a fusion of BCE and 1 King E. Still hate the resolution of the top of this building. it looks like they almost completed construction and ran out of money when you see the east looking view of it.

It's an okay project by asthetics alone. I appreciate the retention of the office building at the base, but could care less for the POMO precast addition afterwards. (the viewing boxes look horrible IMO). I like this building as mixed use but its cladding is grey and not a good solid gray but a cheap kind of gray. Its crown is okay in form, but the cladding choice is somehow worse then the rest of the tower.

Back