Toronto 88 Queen | 167.35m | 52s | St Thomas Dev | Hariri Pontarini

I've heard quite a bit actually about how the market is trending back towards larger units again. All the better - those 400 square foot shoe boxes aren't exactly ideal. they work fine as a rental unit for a year or two, but I don't see the attraction in purchasing them.. its just too small to live in long term.

I've heard quite a bit actually about how the market is trending back towards larger units again. All the better - those 400 square foot shoe boxes aren't exactly ideal. they work fine as a rental unit for a year or two, but I don't see the attraction in purchasing them.. its just too small to live in long term.

Well said. Years ago, I lived in a 400 sq. ft. condo on Charles E. for 5 years. It was great, but I was single and in my twenties so it suited me at the time. I eventually wanted something larger, and I don't think I would have stayed quite as long had I been living with someone at that time.

Well said. Years ago, I lived in a 400 sq. ft. condo on Charles E. for 5 years. It was great, but I was single and in my twenties so it suited me at the time. I eventually wanted something larger, and I don't think I would have stayed quite as long had I been living with someone at that time.

I can hardly fathom living in 400sq feet. That's about the size of my living room/dining room. I rent.

You must have lived very light.......

I can hardly fathom living in 400sq feet. That's about the size of my living room/dining room. I rent.

You must have lived very light.......

No. It didn't feel all that small. It was actually 450 or so, but it was a decent sized 1-bedroom. Small galley kitchen, good size bathroom with washer/dryer, combined dining/living, bedroom with walk-in. I didn't have most of the crap I have now, but didn't feel like I was living light.

But a lot of "bigger" units end up being 2-bedrooms at 700-800 sq ft, which I think is still quite small.
If you are just a couple 800 square feet is plenty. Hell even with a kid it could work provided the layout is practical.

I spent 8 months in a 490 square foot 2 bedroom.. It was about as small as you get, but it worked. Combo with a storage unit and it isn't too bad. I would want more to live in long term though for sure. 600-650 one bedroom would be perfect if you didn't have kids I would imagine.

I live in 478 square feet right now and honestly, it's more than enough given what I own. Lots of different living styles. Not to diminish the importance of family-sized units.

No. It didn't feel all that small. It was actually 450 or so, but it was a decent sized 1-bedroom. Small galley kitchen, good size bathroom with washer/dryer, combined dining/living, bedroom with walk-in. I didn't have most of the crap I have now, but didn't feel like I was living light.

There was no adverse judgement implied. All I can say is I have slightly more than double that space.......no kids........and while it doesn't feel crowded, I can't imagine having a whole lot less space.

As it stands, I could really use a larger kitchen.

Though part of my issue may be that I work from home a lot so one room is my home office.

Also I have a ton of camping gear.

As quoted from the Developer in a blog site (previously posted) - the first tower sold out.

88 North sold out fast, Patrick Quigley (Developer) tells us, and “for a substantial premium over what’s been selling in this area.”

and he also added - "Larger suites were 88 North’s fastest sellers", Patrick says, a sign the condo market is “oversaturated" with one-bedroom product,

I totally agree with his assessment.

People shut out of the semi-detached market are turning to larger condo units.

Link to full blog post https://www.bisnow.com/toronto/news...om-parking-lot-to-downtown-east-hotspot-62567

If Patrick implies in last month interview they are sold out, why are they doing a sales Center on mutual ave? Something appears fishy or miscontrued, esp with the very little marketing activity and being unknown - no familiar developer. The project is intriguing but - yes overpriced.

If Patrick implies in last month interview they are sold out, why are they doing a sales Center on mutual ave? Something appears fishy or miscontrued, esp with the very little marketing activity and being unknown - no familiar developer. The project is intriguing but - yes overpriced.
Maybe because they are building 4 buildings on this site, and this one is only the first.

Phase 2 consists of 3 mixed-use towers at 29, 33 and 57 storeys.
Screenshot 2016-10-02 14.30.41.png

Edit: Didn't realize this was an old render, my mistake.

Preliminary report: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-96640.pdf

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-10-02 14.30.41.png
    Screenshot 2016-10-02 14.30.41.png
    647.6 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited:
Personally, I think the stacked/slightly cantilevered box motif is growing a little tired in the city, but I still prefer what's proposed here to much of what's currently in the hopper across the city. The shortest tower and podium are a mess, though.

A tower that prominent in the neighbourhood for decades to come needs to have an equally exceptional design. This is passable as mediocre.

Back