Toronto 80 Bloor Street West | 263.4m | 78s | Krugarand | Arcadis

Does this bode well for 1200 bay all the sudden? As mentioned in the 1200 bay thread, separation was an issue which is likely addressed now, meaning the prospects of both these projects getting built, at least in some form is more likely now right?

I'm speculating here (which without seeing the contents of the confidential report is more or less all that can be done), but I read it actually the other way; basically, 1200 Bay needed 80 Bloor to play ball if to make 1200 Staff-supportable, and it's not clear to me that 80 Bloor indeed agreed to play ball (which isn't totally surprising given that there's not really much of an incentive for them to do so.

From the GYRA newsletter I received today.
“ 80-82 BLOOR ST. AND YORKVILLE PARK EXPANSION
As you may know from our previous GYRA Newsletters, there had been an application submitted several years ago for a re-development of 80-82 Bloor St. W. for a multi-use condominium development with retail and office space. Harry Rosen occupies 82 Bloor on the west part of this proposed development parcel while 80 Bloor is the mid-rise office building with retail at the street level (GoodLife Fitness is located in the building).
This application for 2 relatively thin but very tall condominium towers (70 and 76 storeys) with retail and office space was headed for an LPAT (formerly OMB) hearing for resolution due to opposition put forward by City Planning and other stakeholders including GYRA. However, there was a late breakthrough that occurred prior to the LPAT hearing, which had the support of all of those who opposed the application.
As a result, we are very pleased to report that City Council, at their meeting held a few months ago, approved the developer’s application which now includes an expansion of the Yorkville Village Park from Bellair St. to Bay St. The building known as 1240 Bay St., also affectionately known as the TTC building because of its 2 subway entrances currently on that land, will be become part of this new development land assembly and will eventually be torn down to make way for the park expansion. The number and location of subway entrances will be a TTC decision. The developer of 80-82 Bloor will be paying for all costs related to the lease buyouts, demolition, and cost of the park expansion, which will then become City property. For several years, this park expansion has been one of GYRA’s major goals for our neighbourhood, so acquiring this amount of park land in the centre of the city is a very big win for the entire Greater Yorkville area. It will provide much-needed breathing room from the many buildings engulfing this neighbourhood. It must be
noted that Councillor Mike Layton, City Planning staff, ABC Residents Association, Bloor-Yorkville BIA and GYRA all worked together to achieve this remarkable outcome for our neighbourhood.”
View attachment 274923

The park extension really is great news.

I was aware of the desire for that; but always wondered if the TTC would make a deal w/a developer for the ground-lease rights given how hot the area was and the revenue potential.

This would not have been affordable if the developer needed to pay market value for the site. (I don't think)

I assume, because the site was City-owned, they're really just eating, as noted, the cost of buy-outs and demo.

Site is just shy of 2,700m2

So this is an addition of 0.27ha or .67 acres of park.

Approved in principle at LPAT.

Krugarand Corporation v Toronto (City), 2021 CanLII 15087 (ON LPAT)

The Parties have come to an agreement regarding resolution of the Appeal. They have agreed that the lands at 80 Bloor Street West and 82 Bloor Street West be developed as a consolidated parcel to allow for construction of two 72-storey towers, (plus 10 m mechanical penthouse) above a base building. The base building would be a 17-storey podium (“Development”), The Development requires amendment of the By-Laws.
The Tribunal orders as follows:
(A) The Appeal is allowed in part;
(B) The proposed amendments to the By-Laws delineated in Exhibit No. 5 are approved in principle;

Last edited:

Also from the decision:

1615632360108.png

Yea im confused about the height. Every time the height is mentioned somewhere its different and i cant figure out which is the current one lol

Current is the settlement approved at LPAT.

Two towers, both 72 storeys.

Im pretty sure the golden design wasn’t ever something we were going to get for a few reasons.

Back