Toronto 8 Wellesley | Residences at Yonge | 182.15m | 55s | CentreCourt | Arcadis

Architecturally, I liked the previous iteration better as the massing was broken up, giving a dynamic expression to the facade. Now it just looks like a giant slab (with some balconies for good measure) and edges drawn by the shadowing restrictions

55 storeys, 163.5 m including mechanical (less than 3 m per floor). We’re looking at 8 ft ceiling units here.
The typical floor to floor height in this proposal is 2.8 m, or 9' 2 ¼". Most condos these days it's 2.95 m or 9' 8 ⅙". If they can get 9' ceiling heights out of the the latter, then they should be able to get 8' 6" ceiling heights out of this one. That ain't that bad.

Yup. 2.65m slab to slab is more typical for 8' ceilings from my understanding, and you do still see it these days, especially in rentals. A lot of floors in Mirvish Village are 2.65m slab to slab for example.

The typical floor to floor height in this proposal is 2.8 m, or 9' 2 ¼". Most condos these days it's 2.95 m or 9' 8 ⅙". If they can get 9' ceiling heights out of the the latter, then they should be able to get 8' 6" ceiling heights out of this one. That ain't that bad.

I can’t read the floor height on the illustrations - they’re too small. Do you know what the typical floor to floor height in the original proposal was? If it’s higher than the current one, it shows that the developer is willing to compromise on aesthetics to squeeze in more profit - doesn’t bode well for the building’s appearance. Still, I’m sure this will be marketed as a luxury condo ‘steps to Yorkville’, if not in Yorkville itself (as claimed by some of the condos on Charles St).

The floor-to-floor heights were not given on the architectural plans of version 1.

I think you're reading too much into this, too early. 8 ½' floor heights are not uncommon in recent buildings. I know the database file says condo now, but it's early days and this may be a rental, like some of Fitzrovia's other projects like 39 East Liberty and Broadway + Redpath, and I'm under the impression that the 8 ½' height is a little more common in the new rentals. It's no indicator of how well they'll finish the building; at Yonge and Wellesley, this could easily command high rent, so it'll likely be finished to support those.

The 6" lower ceiling heights than some buildings is most likely reflective of the fact that the developer paid big bucks for this site and needs a healthy return to make it financially viable. They've had to cut nine floors while adding two more vey costly underground levels of parking to appease the City, so they have to recoup somewhere.

The floor-to-floor heights were not given on the architectural plans of version 1.

I think you're reading too much into this, too early. 8 ½' floor heights are not uncommon in recent buildings. I know the database file says condo now, but it's early days and this may be a rental, like some of Fitzrovia's other projects like 39 East Liberty and Broadway + Redpath, and I'm under the impression that the 8 ½' height is a little more common in the new rentals. It's no indicator of how well they'll finish the building; at Yonge and Wellesley, this could easily command high rent, so it'll likely be finished to support those.

The 6" lower ceiling heights than some buildings is most likely reflective of the fact that the developer paid big bucks for this site and needs a healthy return to make it financially viable. They've had to cut nine floors while adding two more vey costly underground levels of parking to appease the City, so they have to recoup somewhere.

\/
This is CentreCourt now.

Ceiling height doesn't amount to a whole lot when you have random bulkheads occasionally cutting rooms in half. I haven't been in new units for some time so it's possible Toronto developers have caught up to other developers with in slab HVAC. Probably not as I have seldom seen exhaust vents in the bottom of balcony slabs.

Why be glad they lowered the ceiling height
Why develope a building that high if there's nothing special about it to be at that height. It would just be an eyesore. And there's plenty of eyesore looking buildings in this city already that we wish weren't built today !

Ahh, I get it. You're talking about the overall building height and I thought you were referring to floor heights.

I love skyscrapers but if your going to build something plain why make it that high. There be a bylaw on the higher you go the more unique your building should look.

Back