Toronto 8 Elm | 218.2m | 69s | Reserve Properties | Arcadis

I think they're just trying to increase their property value and are looking to sell to a developer that can assemble more land close by.

Regardless of this preliminary design placeholder (that's all I'm taking this as), the fact that we are now seeing these types of super-slender proposals opens up the door to some interesting possibilities in areas like the Financial District where land is scarce and where this type of proposal would be much more appropriate - and not at Yonge and Elm.
I'd rather see a development occupy the entire Yonge street frontage than occupy the parcel of land it sits on now. I think that block is in more need of redevelopment.

So presumably the new provincial lifting of parking requirements hasn't yet come into effect, and thus they're seeking here a variance with that eventuality in mind, right?
Every building going up in Downtown now is getting zoning amendments in regards to parking: no-one is building the required number as condo purchasers are buying parking spots in greatly reduced numbers. Being allowed to build zero spaces though is still a tough sell with Planning.

Regardless of this preliminary design placeholder (that's all I'm taking this as), the fact that we are now seeing these types of super-slender proposals opens up the door to some interesting possibilities in areas like the Financial District where land is scarce and where this type of proposal would be much more appropriate - and not at Yonge and Elm.
I'd rather see a development occupy the entire Yonge street frontage than occupy the parcel of land it sits on now. I think that block is in more need of redevelopment.
Planning wants to protect Yonge itself from high-rise redevelopment where it can, and from their POV only in that regard, this proposal would be better located. That said, yes, there's a good chance that this is just a rezoning exercise - - - one for which we have little indication yet of what exactly the City amount of new density and height would willing to accept. So, the applications can come in at any height they want, here or in the Financial District, but what eventually gets built, usually years later, may be greatly reduced in size.

How are they ever going to squeeze 6-7 units (on avg.) into such a small floorplate? The units would have to be 400 sq.ft.

wow 5 pages already? The tower itself is uninspiring to say the least but given that this is the early stages, the final product will likely look nothing like this.

So not possible to have an 80 storey tower I'm,sure at only 259m. Unless each floor is 6.5 ft and adding the mechanical.

Last edited:

Back