Toronto 775 Vaughan Road | 150.48m | 45s | Core Development | Studio JCI

A Member Motion before this week's Council meeting seeks to advance demolition of some of the now vacant properties here in advance of building permits.

The reason given is not the usual issues w/vandalism and property condition, but rather the need for further geo-technical testing (deep borehole) for which the standing buildings are an impediment.

Also of note, in the report is that this one, already Approved by Council, has been appealed to the OLT by an adjacent property owner.

From the above:

1699534134384.png

1699534153961.png

Is there any updates on this project?

Normally, it's bad form to ask that question; as members tend to post any info we have, once we have it.

That said...............

There wasn't any news when you asked; but there is now.

SPA resubmission February 15th, 2024:

@Paclo is flagged for any database updates, while I post the renders.

* The height listed in the title was not updated the last time it changed; we're now at 38s (37 residential + 1 amenity) and 126.9M excluding MPH or 133.07M inclusive. I will amend the title accordingly.

Up to date AIC link:

1709594291358.png

1709594108921.png

1709594155271.png

1709594190367.png

1709594220690.png

Normally, it's bad form to ask that question; as members tend to post any info we have, once we have it.

That said...............

There wasn't any news when you asked; but there is now.

SPA resubmission February 15th, 2024:

@Paclo is flagged for any database updates, while I post the renders.

* The height listed in the title was not updated the last time it changed; we're now at 38s (37 residential + 1 amenity) and 126.9M excluding MPH or 133.07M inclusive. I will amend the title accordingly.

Up to date AIC link:

View attachment 545707

View attachment 545703

View attachment 545704

View attachment 545705

View attachment 545706
Sorry I just found this website when I was searching , did not know about the rules :) Thank you for the update.

Minor Variance application with the following changes:
  • Storeys increased from 38 to 45 (incl. indoor amenity on 45th level)
  • Height increased from 133.08 to 150.48m
  • Total residential units increased from 500 to 576 (remains inclusive of 15 affordable rentals)
  • Total vehicular parking decreased from 79 to 78
  • Total bicycle parking increased from 501 to 577
No new renderings; CoA hearing date has not been scheduled yet.

Minor Variance application with the following changes:
  • Storeys increased from 38 to 45 (incl. indoor amenity on 45th level)
  • Height increased from 133.08 to 150.48m
  • Total residential units increased from 500 to 576 (remains inclusive of 15 affordable rentals)
  • Total vehicular parking decreased from 79 to 78
  • Total bicycle parking increased from 501 to 577
No new renderings; CoA hearing date has not been scheduled yet.

My comments:

1) Not Minor and should be refused for that reason. They can resubmit for an extra 7 storeys and I'm happy to consider it, but I consider the use of minor variances for non-trivial changes to be an abuse of process.

2) If you wish to be indulged......at least come forward with a proportionate increase in the number of affordable units. This should increase from 15 to, at least 18 units.

Reactions: AHK
I agree they should increase the amount of affordable units if adding more floors and not sure the code for number of elevators but common sense there needs to be at least a bank of 6 for that number of people.

576 units on 4 elevators. Great work, guys.

Good chance Core will never build this so it doesn't matter in the context of this project as it exists on paper now, but it does highlight the degree to which the Code *needs* to regulate conveyancing.
The Landlord has moved in at least two new tenants so must expect a long delay as well.

I agree they should increase the amount of affordable units if adding more floors and not sure the code for number of elevators but common sense there needs to be at least a bank of 6 for that number of people.

There isn't, really, for all intents and purposes two are required and that's it, developer's discretion thereafter. Which is incredibly stupid..........but there you go.

Six is about right, you can assess the number of elevators differently based on performance (things like speed, and programming impact how many are required); that said, the rule of thumb here is one per hundred units to provide reasonable service.

Last edited:

Back