Toronto 75 on The Esplanade | 99.97m | 29s | Harhay | a—A

There was a letter from Aird & Berlis LLP that they're holding the purchasers' deposits in trust. The previous letters were from Goldman Sloan Nash & Haber LLP. The deposits were originally made out to them. There's no update on the project in the lawyer's letter.

The only update from the developer was in January stating that they've received rezoning approval and that they hope to begin shoring and excavation this spring once the permit has been issued, but I don't even see a permit submission for shoring yet.

The Detailed Revision List from the May 18 resubmission states a start in spring / summer.

A reply from Harhay on Twitter mentions July as a start date but the original tweet is private so I'm not sure what the question was relating to. But Harhay doesn't have any other developments to start, so I can only assume it's relating to 75.

upload_2018-6-11_21-54-29.png

How were you able to tell they switched lawyers? From the May 18th resubmission?

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-11_21-54-29.png
    upload_2018-6-11_21-54-29.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 842
Last edited:
A new application has been received on Friday, June 29 for "stand alone excavation and shoring for soil remediation."

How's this any different than the usual excavation and shoring, other than cleaning up the soil? What I mean is that is this usually done concurrently with the shoring for construction or is that a separate permit application?

upload_2018-7-2_15-32-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-2_15-32-12.png
    upload_2018-7-2_15-32-12.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 864
A new application has been received on Friday, June 29 for "stand alone excavation and shoring for soil remediation."

How's this any different than the usual excavation and shoring, other than cleaning up the soil? What I mean is that is this usually done concurrently with the shoring for construction or is that a separate permit application?

The City rules are that you cannot get an excavation permit until you have your full building permit. Developers get around this by applying for a 'soil remediation' excavation permit that, for some strange reason always seems to result in an excavation just the right size for the building.

The City rules are that you cannot get an excavation permit until you have your full building permit. Developers get around this by applying for a 'soil remediation' excavation permit that, for some strange reason always seems to result in an excavation just the right size for the building.

A lot of sites require remediation, so having the developer invest to remove it doesn't hurt. If the permit doesn't go through it can be backfilled and capped with clean fill (hopefully) and then the site at least is better off than it was before. Though, given the economics of development in Toronto it probably isn't much of a barrier to developers. As for the City, they'd always rather have sites cleaned up on the off chance they take possession. You can resell it at a higher rate when the uses aren't limited by the condition of the soil.

This is very much the case in northern communities. I'm not sure how much it applies to downtown Toronto.

Finally. The last of the horrific scars inflicted upon St. Lawrence in the 60's to cater to the almighty car will now be healed.
You seem to think that St Lawrence was a residential area that was 'horribly scarred' in the 1960s. It was actually a rail yard with heavy and medium industry. It then became almost completely parking lots, of which this is the last one to go.

You seem to think that St Lawrence was a residential area that was 'horribly scarred' in the 1960s. It was actually a rail yard with heavy and medium industry. It then became almost completely parking lots, of which this is the last one to go.

Along Esplanade yes, but pre-60's photos along Front and Wellington tell a tragic tale.

There's a small lot on the north side.

There's still a lot heritage along Wellington and Front so perhaps less tragic then we think. Some good was definitely lost but, it wasn't all good either

Back