Toronto 733 Mt Pleasant | 93.25m | 27s | Rockport Group | Wallman Architects

~350units x 1.5ppl doesn't move the needle? Then x10 or x20 and it shall.
Despite terrible architecture, I'd still take this over 500 single family detached homes

~350units x 1.5ppl doesn't move the needle? Then x10 or x20 and it shall.
Despite terrible architecture, I'd still take this over 500 single family detached homes
Supply is not the problem, it's excessive demand. Moreover, you can't build 10 or 20 times because the industry is already at max capacity. And even if we could build that amount, the feds would just bring more people to keep prices high for their developer pals. So anyone framing the problem solely in supply terms is not up to speed with what's really happening.

Supply is not the problem, it's excessive demand. Moreover, you can't build 10 or 20 times because the industry is already at max capacity. And even if we could build that amount, the feds would just bring more people to keep prices high for their developer pals. So anyone framing the problem solely in supply terms is not up to speed with what's really happening.
"Supply is not the problem" Not sure that quote will age well.
https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/ab....housing-note.housing-note--may-12-2021-.html

Developer profit margins have been shrinking annually for over a decade. Government taxes/levies/fees have been growing annually for decades...now approaching ~250-300k per condo unit.

https://www.bildgta.ca/wp-content/u...omes-in-Major-Canadian-and-US-Metro-Areas.pdf

Perhaps it would've been more accurate to say: Feds will continue to bring in more people to get re-elected by those very people and to help offset their unconscionable spending.

"Supply is not the problem" Not sure that quote will age well.
https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/ab....housing-note.housing-note--may-12-2021-.html

Developer profit margins have been shrinking annually for over a decade. Government taxes/levies/fees have been growing annually for decades...now approaching ~250-300k per condo unit.

https://www.bildgta.ca/wp-content/u...omes-in-Major-Canadian-and-US-Metro-Areas.pdf

Perhaps it would've been more accurate to say: Feds will continue to bring in more people to get re-elected by those very people and to help offset their unconscionable spending.
I've covered this extensively in the zoning reform thread. Suffice to say, affordability didn't improve despite the supply boom since 2008:

1692146736244.png

That too.

Read article...not sure I see where it helps your argument. My argument is if we built more homes it would help homes become more affordable. You don't agree? I would add to that that we shouldn't bring in higher #'s of people if we can't build more homes. Or, only bring in people w the skills required to build homes and get us out of our home deficit situation. Eliminating unions would also help...but save that for another day, as I don't want to trigger you more than necessary in one post.

I would add to that that we shouldn't bring in higher #'s of people if we can't build more homes
Voila. Surprisingly most people don't make this connection. But it's critical. That's all I'm getting at.

Read article...not sure I see where it helps your argument.
It demonstrates what I've been saying all along: that supply isn't the issue, or at least, not the only issue. Vastly excessive demand is a massive problem. Many people don't understand this or refuse to acknowledge it. I'm glad you've come around!

Eliminating unions would also help
I'm in a union and I prize the job security. I don't know enough about how construction unions work to have an opinion one way or the other. I have heard they sometimes artificially restrict hiring to drive up wages.

C of A refused the height increase here, that was then appealed to TLAB which also refused the increase in December.

From the Decision:

1706712339322.png

So this one is back at 23s for the foreseeable future.

The 27s is not dead just yet.......

Rockport is taking their rejection to the OLT.

We learn this from the Member Motion being put before Council:

From the above:

1707323859357.png

They should be refused again. Both for attempting to welsh on the deal they made, making them untrustworthy, but also because the original proposal here is an eyesore, and they actually propose to make it worse and larger.

Rockport as a company should just be dissolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: AHK

Back