Toronto 728 Yonge | ?m | 3s | Brook McIlroy

^^^ The original cornice probably didn't continue along the north sidewall either. You can see that the detailing there is "secondary" to the Yonge frontage.

New opening date is Dec 18. Thankfully they're re-installing that curved glass window on the corner. Because it's heritage, signage will be very discreet. Gold or bronze lettering lit from below on the horizontal brown section above the windows. Apparently the new sidewalks and city inspections are the latest holdup but the store interior is pretty well complete..

I've said it before, but I'm still shocked this wasn't just a facadectomy tacked onto yet another giant condo tower.
Agreed. Not that I'm complaining, but does anyone have any insight into why Shoppers has gone so far above and beyond for this one? (It reminds me a bit of project of another pharmacy chain, the reworking of the Brunswick House by Rexall -- also quite a respectful repurposing of that building.)

Maybe the Weston family has a thing for heritage. I'm sure converting Maple Leaf Gardens to a Loblaws wasn't cheap. But yes, it is surprising for such a relatively small property.

Agreed. Not that I'm complaining, but does anyone have any insight into why Shoppers has gone so far above and beyond for this one? (It reminds me a bit of project of another pharmacy chain, the reworking of the Brunswick House by Rexall -- also quite a respectful repurposing of that building.)
The Brunswick House renovation was far, far less extensive than this.

This is more or less a brand new building with the heritage facade retained, using mass timber construction and high end materials. Brunswick House is mostly just a minor interior renovation to clean it up.

I am definitely curious about the economics behind this one, but apparently Shoppers is quite profitable given the supposed rents they are willing to pay for locations like Yonge Dundas..

The Brunny reno was indeed less extensive, but it was similar in that it did a great job of retaining the heritage aspects of the building.

Back