Toronto 70 Wicksteed | 21.18m | 2s | SmartCentres | Turner Fleischer

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone know what's going on here? There was a rezoning and SPA approved here in 2014, then construction started, and was halted with a giant hole in the ground left behind. I'm pretty sure this came about when Wal-mart pulled out of all their urban expansion sites (there were several more around the GTA they pulled out of, one in Mississauga now sits empty, and another few never started construction).

But browsing permits, I noticed that a permit that was initially applied for in 2013 was finally issued this past November. Anyone know if construction has restarted?

I have not seen any activity there in years. I am not sure why Smart Centres didn't move forward and build something anyway. I know Target going bust down the road stopped Walmart's move.

Walmart pulled out of the Trinty development at Lakeshore and Cawthra for sure. Last I heard they are still paying rent on the site.

Walmart doesn't really build Greenfield stores anymore.

They were supposed to build a store at Leslie and York Mills area as well. That plot of land is still empty as well.

The Bathurst-College Centre was originally designed with Walmart in mind as well I believe, and that is now a Freshco. Mississauga Lakeshore is empty, Leslie and York Mills is unbuilt, and this one is abondoned.

They did build two "urban format" stores before abondoning the concept though - Keele & Finch, and Markham and Eglinton.

The VMC Wal mart replacement may take a bit more of an urban format as well - we will have to see what SmartCentres is thinking there.

The Bathurst-College Centre was originally designed with Walmart in mind as well I believe, and that is now a Freshco. Mississauga Lakeshore is empty, Leslie and York Mills is unbuilt, and this one is abondoned.

I think in that case though didn't the community fight against having a Walmart there?

I think in that case though didn't the community fight against having a Walmart there?
Yes but the community "won" the battle right around when Walmart pulled out of all their urban sites - I suspect they wouldn't have won if walmart continued with their urban expansions.

Heh, that is weird. Everyone in the area I talked to was excited about the prospect of Walmart coming in.
I used to live on Millwood near Bayview and I found the disapproval was along that corridor and the northern part of Leaside and North Lea that were really not happy with the idea.

I believe this is now set to be a Canadian Tire.

The CT store, except for auto service will be entirely on the 2nd level up with parking at grade.

A canal should be built between the pond and the stores. It looks rather pseudo-Venetian.

Or create our version of the San Antonio River Walk:

1590259474883.png

Or create our version of the San Antonio River Walk:

View attachment 247180

I believe this site may have contamination issues.

Not sure about purposefully running open water through it..........

Back