Toronto 70 St Mary Street | 132.58m | 40s | Loretto College | a—A

Looks pretty average

70StMary.jpg

Looks pretty average

What can I say to such a comment?

If this design is considered to be "pretty average" by you, then you have absurdly high expectations. I am certain that had this design been proposed five years ago, almost everybody at UT would have been over the moon about it, and rightly so.

What exactly needs to be done to get your approval, if this is a "pretty average" design? Have it form a giant Corinthian column? Have each floor revolve like a lazy Susan? Perhaps it should be in the form of a pretzel shape, instead of a "box"? (A term which I have concluded is meaningless, indicating only that the person using it does not like the building. It has been applied to many buildings that are far from box-like in their form)

In my opinion, this is a fine example of current architectural thought, incorporating several design strands into one building that is representative of "Toronto Style".

In my opinion, this is a fine example of current architectural thought, incorporating several design strands into one building that is representative of "Toronto Style".

I'm just playing devil's advocate, but I'm assuming he doesn't like 'Toronto Style'. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

If this design is considered to be "pretty average" by you, then you have absurdly high expectations. I am certain that had this design been proposed five years ago, almost everybody at UT would have been over the moon about it, and rightly so.

What exactly needs to be done to get your approval, if this is a "pretty average" design? Have it form a giant Corinthian column? Have each floor revolve like a lazy Susan? Perhaps it should be in the form of a pretzel shape, instead of a "box"? (A term which I have concluded is meaningless, indicating only that the person using it does not like the building. It has been applied to many buildings that are far from box-like in their form)

I appreciate that you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. There is nothing exciting or even very interesting or noteworthy about this proposal - it's just there. It will be one of the many ignored buildings on Toronto's skyline - which is saying a lot.

another issue:
st mary's is a dead end street, and with all of this new development, parking/traffic is going to be a nightmare when students are moving in/out of all of the residences in the area

since there will be underground parking, one hope's they would take that into consideration and accommodate that in the parking design, perhaps with a dedicated loading dock too.

I dont favour this development. The level of intensification in this area is getting out of control. The streets are tiny and the neighbourhood is getting overwhelmed -
The St Thomas (on hold, but scale is approved) These buildings are within yards of one another. Loretto College is a decent sized building as it is, and rather fine looking. I dont see why he college should be allowed to jam more condos in there. And I've ignored the Charles apartments at Bay.

Your statement brings up images of City Spire, Carnegie Hall Tower and Metropolitan Tower all jammed together in Midtown Manhattan...814 ft, 757 ft and 716 ft (last two less than 10 metres apart).

I'm not that concerned.

Wow, defensive much? The guy doesn't like the design as much as you do. Get over it.

*still waiting for UTers to understand the concept of opinion*

Perhaps, but there's no doubt in my mind that Big Daddy was baiting with his comment. He offered no suggestion for improvement, nor did he expand upon "looks average". It was clearly posted just to incite a response like Mongo's (who I'm inclined to agree with).

I think the points were perfectly valid, and we haven't even seen a render yet, making it the judgement a bit premature. As proven by the Massey Tower, line drawing elevations can hide a lot.

Your statement brings up images of City Spire, Carnegie Hall Tower and Metropolitan Tower all jammed together in Midtown Manhattan...814 ft, 757 ft and 716 ft (last two less than 10 metres apart).

I'm not that concerned.

Again, these are smaller streets - especially St Mary's and St Thomas.
Carnegie's on, what, 7th or 8th?

I'm just playing devil's advocate, but I'm assuming he doesn't like 'Toronto Style'. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

Toronto Style? A grey or green box. Promise everything but then deliver very little. Build as cheaply as possible and overcharge.

Back