Toronto 7 Labatt | 126.18m | 38s | TAS | HOK

http://svn-ap.com/projects/labbatt-urban-village/

view-nw-across-don-valley.jpg

view-se-from-labbatt-river.jpg

ground-floor-plan.jpg

The massing is interesting and the year-round indoor/outdoor market would be great. I can't picture how those would have the city's 30m tower separation though.

It's been bumped to 30 from 25?

The city has started asking for 30m separations, up from the Tall Building Guidelines' original 25m. It's extremely limiting (it explains a lot about tower separation and floorplate shape - see Harbour Plaza, new LCBO development, etc.) but that's what they demand now.

The city has started asking for 30m separations, up from the Tall Building Guidelines' original 25m. It's extremely limiting (it explains a lot about tower separation and floorplate shape - see Harbour Plaza, new LCBO development, etc.) but that's what they demand now.

They have? first I've heard of this. Less than a year ago they were moving to enshrine the 25m figure in their OP, I would be surprised if they have suddenly upped that to 30m. Have they actually placed this in policy somewhere?

I thought the pic was only a concept. Is it one tower approved for 38 storeys or is it two towers coming to this site?

This design is clearly quite old.

The approved design is for a 38s singular tower, the images above were likely the preliminary plan from years ago.

They have? first I've heard of this. Less than a year ago they were moving to enshrine the 25m figure in their OP, I would be surprised if they have suddenly upped that to 30m. Have they actually placed this in policy somewhere?

I am currently working on several projects where we are ensuring a 30m separation as per the city's requirements. I don't know the details beyond the fact that the city is allegedly shifting toward an expectation that there will be 30m separation between towers and I am having to design within that.

I am currently working on several projects where we are ensuring a 30m separation as per the city's requirements. I don't know the details beyond the fact that the city is allegedly shifting toward an expectation that there will be 30m separation between towers and I am having to design within that.

I'm not disputing what you're saying, but how can they just suddenly say "we're upping the separation to 30 metres" and expect developers to follow it if that new number isn't enshrined in anything—Tall Buildings Design Guidelines, or Zoning Bylaws, or the Official Plan? I would think that a developer who chose to challenge the 30 metre separation would have an easy time of it until the governing regulations were changed.

I know the city has the guidelines stating that taller buildings should be greater than 25m, but doesn't outline anything further about what that should be.

Where taller buildings or larger tower floor plates are proposed (see also 3.2.1 Floor Plate Size and Shape), provide greater setbacks and separation distances proportionate to increases in building size and height (see Figure 2). For larger floor plates, use the widest dimension of the tower floor plate as a guide to determine adequate tower setbacks and separation (see Figure 4).

fg2.png

This has never really been enforced as far as I know, but may provide some sort of policy base for the city to start requesting 30m setbacks. Perhaps they are requesting it on a site that isn't that tight already (i.e. can easily accommodate it) and involves some very tall buildings?

Attachments

• fg2.png
    fg2.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 774
Is the 30 metres something staff are asking for on larger sites, sites which can accommodate more than one tower, as a matter of design and good planning? i.e. leaving the 25m rule in place, but looking for opportunities to expand the minimum on sites where it is possible?

TAS invited me, the Globe, and Toronto Life along for a helicopter ride recently to highlight some of their work around the city, finished, under construction, and upcoming. This one is in the latter category of course, with a 2019 launch planned for the project here on the southeast corner of River and Labatt:

DSC07045.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07045.jpg
    DSC07045.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 754

Back