Toronto 699 Lawrence West | 128.56m | 38s | Midtown West Residences | Core Architects

Appeals Report on this one to the next meeting of NYCC:

The appeal to the OLT was already noted above, and should surprise no one given the stand-out height request relative to precedent and most other area proposals.

Most of the objections in the report are of the standard variety, however, some of the details on separation distance are notable here in terms of proximity to existing townhomes.

There are a variety of smaller objections, but not that much stands out, outside of the obvious 'Airport Hazard' rules which clearly preclude this proposal from being built prior to Downsview decommissioning, unless the applicant
establishes that there is no conflict (they have not submitted the relevant documentation)

The above, however, should be moot sometime later this year.

Most interesting thing in this report is Staff telling the applicant in print to go buy the site next door (Petro Canada station) in order to come up with something more workable. In reality Planning often makes suggestions
such as this to developers; but it's not often you see that make it into print in a report to Council.

Last edited:
Visited the site today.

E821DFCC-6BB4-459C-99CC-2B3C0C876FAD.jpeg
0EE8A0B7-AB66-495D-8590-A73B83E34968.jpeg

The rear. Note the backyard to a bungalow on the back left.

71F19F61-7150-4073-89F0-254AB92DDE35.jpeg

Now that I've finally dried off, a couple comments:

I agree with others who said that 40 stories is too high. It's a small site with a small setback. I'd say 10-15 stories would be appropriate.

Also, as @Northern Light noted, this area is horrific for traffic. One of the worst areas I've witnessed in North York for both drivers and pedestrians. A busy mall, subway station and ramps to and from the Allen create a lot of chaos.

There's 135 parking spaces proposed for 360 units (of which only 99 are for residents), which is an indication that the developers see this site as being transit oriented, as they should. I think it makes sense to further reduce the available car parking on this site, which would also have the effect of speeding up construction, and further reducing emissions from both construction and private vehicle ownership. The site is right next to Line 1, and less than 200 metres walk--following the road and crosswalk!--from a mall with a supermarket, canadian tire, petsmart, and food court. I don't see how it would generate much daily traffic generated.

They're also including 325 bicycle spaces. That's a good thing. Marlee has a bike lane and is well connected to the Beltline trail for east/west connections and the Winona/Shaw north/south bike corridor. Building on that and pushing for improved bike and pedestrian infrastructure in the area would be very welcome.

I totally agree that improvements are needed to bike and pedestrian infrastructure and safety around the Allen Road intersection, but the way that's going to happen is though greater density in the area and building a constituency for active transportation, as this would do.

There's 135 parking spaces proposed for 360 units (of which only 99 are for residents), which is an indication that the developers see this site as being transit oriented, as they should. I think it makes sense to further reduce the available car parking on this site, which would also have the effect of speeding up construction, and further reducing emissions from both construction and private vehicle ownership. The site is right next to Line 1, and less than 200 metres walk--following the road and crosswalk!--from a mall with a supermarket, canadian tire, petsmart, and food court. I don't see how it would generate much daily traffic generated.

They're also including 325 bicycle spaces. That's a good thing. Marlee has a bike lane and is well connected to the Beltline trail for east/west connections and the Winona/Shaw north/south bike corridor. Building on that and pushing for improved bike and pedestrian infrastructure in the area would be very welcome.

I totally agree that improvements are needed to bike and pedestrian infrastructure and safety around the Allen Road intersection, but the way that's going to happen is though greater density in the area and building a constituency for active transportation, as this would do.

Thanks Cambry for letting me know about the number of parking spaces. That's encouraging.

I’m incredibly unsympathetic to appeals to “neighbourhood context” given that these neighbourhoods have become completely unaffordable, and, rigid adherence to this principle is one of the drivers behind lack of housing in Toronto.

Since their creation the demographics of this area have changed, as has the built form. I’ve also stated previously that I don’t see why the built form of neighbourhood context is so important to preserve. If we were as concerned with neighbourhood context in the past as we are now, Toronto would still be a set of shacks clustered around the harbour.
toronto is unaffordable because our wonderful - corrupt officials allow money to be laundered here - via wealthy foreigners purchasing property as they please - read up before blaming locals citizens - this project is trash - belongs on Broadway or Front Street

Waterfront development wants to have a word with you ;)

On a serious note, density around transit stations is good. But that midrise proposed just south of this site is probably better from a city building and urbanist perspective.
40 storeys in that location is beyond a joke - are all councillors getting kickbacks here?? - not to mention it is ugly - these architects should stick to townhomes or swimming pools

toronto is unaffordable because our wonderful - corrupt officials allow money to be laundered here - via wealthy foreigners purchasing property as they please - read up before blaming locals citizens - this project is trash - belongs on Broadway or Front Street
40 storeys in that location is beyond a joke - are all councillors getting kickbacks here?? - not to mention it is ugly - these architects should stick to townhomes or swimming pools
I'd argue that 200m from a subway station is precisely where a 40 storey building should go, john...
1696260581659.png

Subway has constant delays - eglinton still not built - negative 10 degrees for up to 6 months; but sure, lets pretend we can cycle or commute around town; this structure is a joke and should never have been considered.

Back