Hamilton 676 King Street West | 29.9m | 8s | King Dundurn | Lintack Architects

Chris R.

Member Bio
Reaction score
8 floor, 72 unit building proposed at King St W across from the Fortinos lot at Dundurn in Hamilton. The developer is listed as King Dundurn Inc. on the Urban Design Brief, but I'm not sure if that's a subsidiary. Of note, this has 26 parking spaces proposed (0.36 ratio). One item I do not like is the lack of bicycle parking with only 36 long term spots proposed. This leaves 10 units net without any transportation storage forcing bus/LRT or walking as the only options. This isn't a great area to only have walking as an option beyond transit.
1000006452.png
1000006454.png
1000006453.png
1000006455.png

Last edited:
No bike parking for this one is very strange. This bit of King has nice bike lines (minus the part crossing the on-ramp) heading into Westdale, as well as the 'bicycle boulevard' on Breadalbane that leads onto York and the waterfront area.

I wonder if we'll get proper (non-sharrow) bike lanes on the bit of Dundurn between King and Main someday.

No bike parking for this one is very strange. This bit of King has nice bike lines (minus the part crossing the on-ramp) heading into Westdale, as well as the 'bicycle boulevard' on Breadalbane that leads onto York and the waterfront area.

I wonder if we'll get proper (non-sharrow) bike lanes on the bit of Dundurn between King and Main someday.
My understanding is that Dundurn will have bike lanes added as part of LRT.

Once the LRT is built there won't be much traffic. King will be one lane in each direction. Even if there is traffic it will be moving at less than a walking pace.

Once the LRT is built there won't be much traffic. King will be one lane in each direction. Even if there is traffic it will be moving at less than a walking pace.
There have been changes that mean King will largely remain 2 lanes one way. I preferred the old design. The detailed designs still have not been released though.

There have been changes that mean King will largely remain 2 lanes one way. I preferred the old design. The detailed designs still have not been released though.
I'm actually losing confidence that the LRT will even be built. We're 3 years now since the announcement that it was happening again, and literally no work has been done.

I mean there is utility and demolition work underway right now, with more coming later in the year.. but yes, the province has definitely been dragging it's feet on it.

The RFPs were expected earlier this year but as it wasn't decided who will operate it, they may have delayed the RFP. The city finally made their reccomendation, so its again in MX's hands.

The lack of ground floor retail here is baffling. Literally beside an LRT stop. The amenity space even looks like it *should* be retail!

I'm actually losing confidence that the LRT will even be built. We're 3 years now since the announcement that it was happening again, and literally no work has been done.
If the Conservatives get elected federally next year they will more than likely pull the federal funding.

If the Conservatives get elected federally next year they will more than likely pull the federal funding.
I'm not so sure of that. There has been no mention of that whatsoever, and half the funding is coming from another conservative government anyway. In fact, conservative governments have done far more for public transit than any left leaning government in recent memory.

I like this for the overall area, I think it works considering other similar scaled buildings on Main. But the 4/5 lane road that it will sit on causes major pedestrian movement issues. Aside, I desperately want the Hamilton Spectator brick building torn down. That's prime real estate coming down the 403 and a key view that passersby see, should be redeveloped into a mixed use community.

I like this for the overall area, I think it works considering other similar scaled buildings on Main. But the 4/5 lane road that it will sit on causes major pedestrian movement issues. Aside, I desperately want the Hamilton Spectator brick building torn down. That's prime real estate coming down the 403 and a key view that passersby see, should be redeveloped into a mixed use community.
The old Spectator building is owned by McMaster Innovation Park and has been at least partially converted to lab space but will be used fully for that purpose.

Unclear what will become of this section of King post-LRT now. Presumably they won't keep it as fully 5 lane one way but that also depends on the MTO changing the ramps. A nice reduced width 4-lane two way with a tree lined median leading into westdale would be nice.

Back