Toronto 656 Danforth Avenue | 160.73m | 49s | Del Boca Vista | Studio JCI

No one is giving you flack for dreaming of the day that may be possible.............or for suggesting it in a Utopian world.........

Rather, people are pointing out that there is a finite pot of money; we simply aren't going to build 10 more new rapid transit lines beyond those already announced, over the next 25+ years.

So we need to discuss funding what we've already planned out:

Eglinton Crosstown to the Airport
Waterfront West LRT
Waterfront East LRT
Sheppard East
Sheppard West
Finch West - Eastern extension to Yonge
Finch West - Extension to Woodbine/Airport
Ontario Line - north to Sheppard Subway
Line 2 Western extension
Hurontario LRT to downtown Brampton
Something to serve UTSC (may or may not be the EELRT)

If we get all that by ~2045 we'll be doing quite well and better than most of us expect.

Beyond that.......the wish list is already forming

- Line 1 (Yonge side) north to Major Mack
- Line 1 (Vaughan side) up to Major Mack
- Ontario Line north to Finch (Seneca College)
- Steeles Avenue West LRT/BRT
- Hamilton's A-Line and the balance of its BLAST network
- Niagara Falls LRT
- Bolton GO
- NF GO - tunnel under/bridge over Welland Canal
- Jane LRT

etc.

So when you propose something on a street that has yet to be seriously discussed for a project and which has far fewer current or near-term potential riders than all of the above......

It's simply not happening in the next two decades, to a near certainty.

If Canada has its biggest economic boom and per-capita standard of living gains since the 1950s, sustained, for the next decade +, maybe we can revisit a few projects from the fantasy threads as having real potential,
but it will be a while.

We do have to keep bringing up the city planning / zoning, especially in the suburbs...

But on a diffrent note: I have been thinking... Why not kill two birds with one stone and deliver a "Jane LRT" by doing Ontario Line north along Jane? I think it's more then wide enough to do an elevated extension. (If, god help us, we can build an extensive elevated extension (unintentional alliteration) instead of digging a tunnel for 10 years...)

We do have to keep bringing up the city planning / zoning, especially in the suburbs...

But on a diffrent note: I have been thinking... Why not kill two birds with one stone and deliver a "Jane LRT" by doing Ontario Line north along Jane? I think it's more then wide enough to do an elevated extension. (If, god help us, we can build an extensive elevated extension (unintentional alliteration) instead of digging a tunnel for 10 years...)

That may happen...........but again, a very long way off............zero chance Jane would be elevated; that's some of the priciest real estate in the City, no way the locals would fight that tooth and nail (Lake to Eglinton).........north of Eglinton, something on the surface/elevated is plausible.

That may happen...........but again, a very long way off............zero chance Jane would be elevated; that's some of the priciest real estate in the City, no way the locals would fight that tooth and nail (Lake to Eglinton).........north of Eglinton, something on the surface/elevated is plausible.

I was thinking more north of Black Creek. (Or even Woolner)

And yeah it would have to be elevated and underground to be OL of course.

There is literally one proposed

I would note, that several posts have endorse the idea of far more than 1 tower.

Which is the idea being critiqued.

There is also the matter of precedent of course, which in Toronto Planning holds a great deal of weight.

Keep in mind, I'm fine w/the height here; but I get the reaction just the same.

I was thinking more north of Black Creek.

And yeah it would have to be elevated and underground to be OL of course.

At this point, I think we need to curtail the tangent a bit as we're wandering rather far off topic from the thread at hand.

this will be a transit hub and bring about higher density, sure- but it also feels opportunistic for developers to come in and set a precedent. They’ve no doubt walked east and noted all the run down shops and random lots for future towers.

I wish they’d turn their attention further east and start redeveloping Danforth and Vic Park. Mass that whole dying area up. Put up a 50 in the parking lot of Shoppers world, provide more retail in a chunky podium, and create a walkable mall/courtyard a la Don Mills. Alas, they couldn’t cite a new subway to shove it through.

(Ps. We’re not going to build our way out of a housing crisis, we have to take concrete action to destabilize the housing-as-investment market. Otherwise we’re just creating more stock for landlords)

this will be a transit hub and bring about higher density, sure- but it also feels opportunistic for developers to come in and set a precedent. They’ve no doubt walked east and noted all the run down shops and random lots for future towers.

I wish they’d turn their attention further east and start redeveloping Danforth and Vic Park. Mass that whole dying area up. Put up a 50 in the parking lot of Shoppers world, provide more retail in a chunky podium, and create a walkable mall/courtyard a la Don Mills. Alas, they couldn’t cite a new subway to shove it through.

(Ps. We’re not going to build our way out of a housing crisis, we have to take concrete action to destabilize the housing-as-investment market. Otherwise we’re just creating more stock for landlords)

Let's try to keep it on topic..........

But I will tell you this........first, tons of new towers are proposed from Main to the east side of Dawes.

New density is replacing the Victoria Park Station Parking Lot (Housing Now), assuming the financing ever comes through.....

New density is coming to 411 Victoria Park (just south of the tracks) that's the Birchley Park thread.........

The Beer Store, just the other side of VP has already been sold to a REIT and will be developed.

And Rio Can will be redeveloping Shopper's World in due course, but it's a few spots down in the pipeline...........

Riocan also has the site beside Birchley (Freshco)

And Choice will be looking at the Loblaws lands there as well; but again......other stuff above it in the pipeline.

Lots more is already coming.........Choice site at Woodbine/Danforth is public; as is the City's Danforth Garage site.......

But I can assure there's more in the pipeline already.......to my knowledge, nothing anywhere near as big as this..........but then again, I don't have the inside track on all of it, and my knowledge may not always
be fully current.

Last edited:
Let's leave the nice, heritage-listed Royal Bank on the north-west corner alone shall we.

View attachment 422558

The south-west corner, which includes the former Odeon Danforth (now Good Life Fitness) is very much in play.

Not sure if @ProjectEnd is sneaking anything else by me in the area, LOL

I do know of a site nearby on the south side of Danforth that's in play, but its outside the shown Block Context Plan.
The Royal Bank needs its windows restored.

one comment that I've read elsewhere suggests that this proposal will never come to pass as it is too close to the existing subway tunnel, not to mention the planned tunnel for the OL. Seems a perfect example of an old military expression of running up the flagpole to see who salutes it. In which case, many here have shown themselves to care too little for the value of context if nothing else. The proposal raises the cliched 'phallic' symbolism often tied to 'big ideas' but hell yeah you could piss as far as Don Mills from the roof I guess.

Last edited:
one comment that I've read elsewhere suggests that this proposal will never come to pass as it is too close to the existing subway tunnel, not to mention the planned tunnel for the OL.

Not the case .

The Line 2 tunnel is not adjacent to this site, Pape Station is; but its southern extent is not under this property.

The O/L tunnel will be to the east of this site, Mx has already expropriated what they require.

Psst, there are projects in this City built directly over TTC Tunnel (501 Yonge), and station buildings (Canada Square, among several others). It is both practically possible and can be legally permitted, the question is solely
one of whether cost is worth it (including any compensation owed to the TTC/Mx where applicable.

Also, the O/L tunnels will be profoundly deep here, as they will pass under Line 2.

Here is the Ontario Line station siting at Danforth:

1661669200047.png

In the above, north is on your right, note the interior black lines through the blue section are the tunnel walls.

Last edited:
If this building does go ahead, I'd prefer to see the tunnel/station incorporated into it. Or, minimally, give this building a parking reduction in exchange for a transit concourse to improve connectivity to both lines (and, potentially, to allow connections to the other corners when they inevitably see their own redevelopment)

I think a level of density similar to the current and proposed density at St. Clair and Bathurst would be a good model for the Pape and Danforth intersection and one block vicinity. Max height in the mid-to-high 30 storey range.

1661885417442.png

Source

Last edited:
I think a level of density similar to the current and proposed density at St. Clair and Bathurst would be a good model for Pape and Danforth. The highest tower is at 35 stories.

View attachment 423953
Source

Not with that streetwall though! That would kill Danforth!

Back