Toronto 65 King Street East | 82.9m | 18s | Carttera | WZMH

Surprised that this was able to be kept secret for so long. They were in talks for the majority of last year.

A lucky strike for Carterra - I wonder if this confidence boost drove their recent west side acquisition...

Surprised that this was able to be kept secret for so long. They were in talks for the majority of last year.

A lucky strike for Carterra - I wonder if this confidence boost drove their recent west side acquisition...
It would be great if this announcement encouraged them to make the pedestrian link under Leader Lane into King Eddie (which they were thinking about) as that almost gets the PATH to King Station and there is already a walkway under at least half of Victoria Street (belonging to the King Eddie, - an 'areaway'.)

I wonder if this is a bad sign for the future of Sidewalk Labs. Didn't they promise Google's head office would be in Quayside?

Updated render with Google signage:

1581181699642.png

Rather clean on this building if you ask me. Good addition to the downtown corporate signage game.

Massive exoskeletons hold up history

JEFF BROOKE
SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL

His company isn’t the only game in town. Limen Group Ltd., a contractor with a heritage preservation division, has constructed a five-storey frame to hold up an entire streetscape of storefronts along King Street East.

The five storefronts will be the face of an 18-floor glass tower that’s under construction behind the facade. The project by Carttera will have shops and about 400,000 square feet of office space, all of which has been leased by Google Inc.

Toronto-based Limen will also clean up the storefronts’ masonry and do other preservation work, similar to the face lifts it has given to some of the country’s most august buildings, including the Fairmont Royal York hotel in Toronto and Parliament Hill’s West Block in Ottawa.

The project at 65 King St. E., though, is unique for Limen because it required the retention structure. The red frame held up the storefronts as the interiors behind were demolished and a new foundation was poured beneath. It will stay up until the tower behind it is complete and attached to the facade.

For any developer, it would be easier (and likely cheaper) to knock old buildings down and start fresh. But Limen’s Igor Danilov, for one, is glad Toronto has firm preservation laws to save some of the city’s history. The steel structures make this possible in projects such as 65 King East.

“Someday you will walk by and all you’ll see is the houses [storefronts at street level]. You will feel like you are still in an old city, a heritage city,” says Mr. Danilov, chief estimator for Limen’s heritage restoration division.

Back