Toronto 619 Yonge | 237.99m | 70s | YI Developments | Core Architects

OT, but Denise Benson's Then & Now series in the Grid is really interesting, and while not exclusive to bars in the Village, she does cover a number of area clubs. http://www.thegridto.com/tag/then-now/

A great trip down memory lane with these "then and nows", and best of all I'm in a photo at Komrads on the dance floor with my ex, c1986-87. Don't know what happened to my shoes!

And wasn't that the Gasworks before that?

gasworks.jpg

No. The Gasworks was on the south-east corner of Dundonald Street. Crooked landlords shut the place down on 01/07/93 much to the shock of the rock kids and bands who called Doug Godovitz's bar their home.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF-...nto&ei=nZASU825J8aiyAGqgoHoCg&ved=0CCwQxB0wAA

GoddoWithMarkHolmes.jpg
Gasworks-1.jpg

Attachments

• gasworks.jpg
    gasworks.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2,462
  • GoddoWithMarkHolmes.jpg
    GoddoWithMarkHolmes.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,506
  • Gasworks-1.jpg
    Gasworks-1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,546
Last edited:
Yep. They've had a "going out of business sale" sign in the window from the first day they opened there. The owner keeps telling me, they are closing "soon". He told me that last fall, so I guess soon, is relative.

It's not a sporting goods store. It's an army surplus store. (an expensive one at that)

Oh jeeze!

Yep. They've had a "going out of business sale" sign in the window from the first day they opened there. The owner keeps telling me, they are closing "soon". He told me that last fall, so I guess soon, is relative.

:p It must be frustrating to have to move from place to place. Or is the guy who owns the place retiring? :p

Last edited:
This project is in for re-zoning with a planned height increase from the original October 2012 scheme

I wouldn't count on it

There has been an agreement worked out on this one which will allow a 46-storey tower on this site. Final OMB approval is pending Site Plan approval and a Section 37 Public Benefits Plan approval from the City.

Don't know anymore new about this now.

Back