Toronto 6 Noble Street | 42.44m | 13s | Minto Group | Sweeny &Co

Reduced to 8 storeys:
upload_2017-12-16_20-40-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-16_20-40-15.png
    upload_2017-12-16_20-40-15.png
    321.4 KB · Views: 679
Unlike the proposal at Dundas and Bloor, where the developers are engaging the community, this development sought to ram through a proposal. Now they have basically wasted a year of their time and a sizeable amount of money. I wonder if the developer is based in Toronto, or is just developing in Toronto for the money. If they had researched the neighbourhood, they could probably forecast the result. I don't have any confidence their 8-storey proposal will be any better.

The developer is the dance studio. They aren't developers, they are probably trying to get the rezoning then are hoping to sell to an actual builder.

Unlike the proposal at Dundas and Bloor, where the developers are engaging the community, this development sought to ram through a proposal. Now they have basically wasted a year of their time and a sizeable amount of money. I wonder if the developer is based in Toronto, or is just developing in Toronto for the money. If they had researched the neighbourhood, they could probably forecast the result. I don't have any confidence their 8-storey proposal will be any better.

Also, first, if you're referring to the Loblaw proposal, it is remarkably different than this one could ever be and, as such, requires a wholly different community engagement approach.

Second, whatever this proposal winds up ultimately being, the proponent will be required to undertake precisely the same development application and review process that every other development does, and there's no possible way to skirt it.

Third, every proponent in Toronto is developing for the money. That doesn't make it wrong or bad or worth fighting against.

Completely false. The ballet school is a tenant of the current building. The developer who has purchased the building has expressed an interest in keeping the ballet school in the new building, and is trying to use this as leverage to get the zoning amended.

Yeah. Not a well-educated comment about who is developing it. It says on Urban Toronto, it's Sweeny.

Also, first, if you're referring to the Loblaw proposal, it is remarkably different than this one could ever be and, as such, requires a wholly different community engagement approach.

Second, whatever this proposal winds up ultimately being, the proponent will be required to undertake precisely the same development application and review process that every other development does, and there's no possible way to skirt it.

Third, every proponent in Toronto is developing for the money. That doesn't make it wrong or bad or worth fighting against.

I mean an out-of-town developer who may not be cognizant about planning in Toronto, but sees a buck to be made in Toronto. Probably has to learn the hard way that established neighbourhoods have more reviews. Another company from outside of Toronto is developing a tower north of The Crossways and is also in a dispute. There are lots of developers who do not get into confrontations with the City. I bet most of them are based in Toronto.

Toronto developers get into "confrontations" (if that's what you want to call disputes) with Toronto Planning all the time. Nearly every proposal triggers protracted negotiations. Many go to the OMB of course. It has nothing to do with where the developer is from.

From Councillor Perks' office regarding the settlement offer:

Of note, revisions include the height of the building which has been reduced from 14 storeys (51.3 m including mechanical penthouse) to 8 storeys (32.3 m including mechanical penthouse); and no non-residential uses are proposed. The non-residential gross floor area and the live-work units have been replaced with townhouse units.

City Planning along with a number of City departments will now review the Settlement Offer and provide their feedback.

My office will organize a meeting in 2018 to review the Settlement Offer with the community. City Planning staff and the developer will be invited to attend this meeting.

City Planning staff will then provide their recommendations on the Settlement Offer. If they recommend approval of the Settlement Offer, a report will be submitted to the February 21st Toronto and East York Community Council. If they do not recommend approval of the settlement offer, City Staff will attend the next pre-hearing scheduled for May 22 at 10 AM at the OMB, 655 Bay St, 16th floor.

Please watch for Community Meeting Notice early in 2018. As always, my office is available to answer questions and hear your concerns.​

Back