Toronto 6 Noble Street | 42.44m | 13s | Minto Group | Sweeny &Co

Sorry, "above average density" is not really an argument against increasing it further per se - and this isn't even an unreasonable increase either - certainly along the lines of what other neighbourhoods proximate to the core is experiencing.

AoD

Try reading the whole thread. The proposal is the size the architect wants. He is complaining that the plan protects neighbourhoods so he won't get the full-size he wants. So the plan is broken, or the city is broken, etc. etc. And I am saying that arguing that we need density in the city as a whole is not an argument for one development to go as big as one architect wants. And I am saying that Parkdale doesn't need more density for density's sake. Some people seem to want to put words in my mouth as a debate tactic. Each development on its merits.

Try reading the whole thread. The proposal is the size the architect wants. He is complaining that the plan protects neighbourhoods so he won't get the full-size he wants. So the plan is broken, or the city is broken, etc. etc. And I am saying that arguing that we need density in the city as a whole is not an argument for one development to go as big as one architect wants. And I am saying that Parkdale doesn't need more density for density's sake. Some people seem to want to put words in my mouth as a debate tactic. Each development on its merits.

I understand the importance of monitoring and planning around density peaks, but I think it's also true that this argument can be (and, in this city is often) applied to advocate against all development and density in the city. It sort of forms the basis of the "IMBY" in the relevant acronym - "sure, density is good, but it certainly can't happen in my neighbourhood."

I understand the importance of monitoring and planning around density peaks, but I think it's also true that this argument can be (and, in this city is often) applied to advocate against all development and density in the city. It sort of forms the basis of the "IMBY" in the relevant acronym - "sure, density is good, but it certainly can't happen in my neighbourhood."
Development proposals get scrutinized. This is good.

I don't disagree with that sentiment at all, and I don't think my previous post really suggested that I would.
Glad you agree. :) More to your point, don't see that to be an issue in Parkdale. Lots of towers, multi-storey buildings, institutions, etc. etc. I would say your point applies more, much more, elsewhere in the city.

Just in from Gord Perks' newsletter:

City Planning is holding a Public Consultation to review the 6 Noble Street Development Application.

This application proposes a 14-storey mixed-use building comprised of commercial space located on portions of the first and second floors, 174 residential units, and two levels of underground parking.

You will have an opportunity to learn more about this application, ask questions, and share your comments.

Date: May 4, 2017Time: 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Place: Parkdale Library Auditorium

The Preliminary Report will be available April 25th on-line through the 2017 Toronto and East York Community Council (TEYCC) Meeting agenda at http://bit.ly/2oDilH4. The Report will also be available at the meeting.​

This rendering looks really lacklustre. Strange and surprising from Sweeny&Co. Interesting little site though.
Will be interesting to see if Gord Perks handles this application better than others in his ward. Perks always thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. In reality, he is really just a self-interested, arrogant, snake-politican.

Politicians are elected to represent people's views, and as Perks has been re-elected twice now, it has to be recognized that he has a large enough constituency that agrees with him often enough. While I don't agree with on everything, (and he's been outright frustrating on some issues), it's not difficult to see that he is one of the most intelligent, thoughtful Councillors at the City. (I just wish he'd call me up for advice at particular times!)

1) What % of the ward voted?
2) What % of the total vote went to Perks?
3) What does the answer to #2 represent as a % of his total ward population?
You get my point. Regardless of the actual support he does have, my point was that he is a self-interested, arrogant man, and really doesn't understand the development process or business.
Isn't there some pretty solid data out there on how hard it is to lose municipal elections once you already have the seat?

He's also one of the biggest supporters of electoral reform on council, which would vastly reduce the incumbency advantage. As one of his constituents, his positions are occasionally wrong-headed, especially relating to development, but overall he is one of the finest and most intelligent councillors in the city. As far as "arrogant" and "self-serving", that sounds like code for "doesn't agree with me, but I'd rather smear him than spell out why specifically we disagree".

My goodness if Perks is "arrogant" and "self-serving", I wonder what Mammolitti and Grimes are.

But I digress, I dont want to turn this into a political debate here.

Back