Toronto 592 Gerrard East | ?m | ?s

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Application below is in the AIC: (no description)

1625566832693.png

Based on a report that went to Council back in 2015, I'm expecting this is an application to build a new Green P parking lot!

Aquisition of this property and the adjacent one (598) was in the 2016 capital budget:

The two properties are in this image below, 592 being on the left.

1625566943285.png

This is the site area, over an aerial, assuming it is both of the properties in play:

1625567193198.png

I can think of better uses for this site than a Green P............................. @HousingNowTO

We have this fight with Green-P about a different "new surface lot" site every couple of years... but my guess is maybe a new HOUSING NOW or Rapid Housing site on these lands to be announced in the Fall for this location on Gerrard.

Let's all (me included) make sure that's what happens here, and not another parking lot!
Can't do MODULAR there because of the Streetcar lines and no rear Laneway, so it would be a tough mid-block site for construction... but it is a decent sized lot.

Would be utter crapola if this ends up as another Green P parking lot. East Chinatown already has a couple of them, one of them a bit further east on the south side of Gerrard closer to Boulton. And the other one just west of Broadview, where the ceremonial gate is.

Ideally, this should be a midrise mixed-use building, around 4-6 storeys is fine in my books, with commercial uses at grade.

City Planning has received a request for a temporary use zoning by-law that would allow for an outdoor patio to be located in a Toronto Parking Authority (TPA) surface parking lot at 592 Gerrard Street East. There are no existing city uses or activities within the proposed patio area, with an existing bike share station along the frontage of the lot to remain. The report recommends permitting a temporary patio on the TPA lot at 592 Gerrard St. E., with the City authorized to enter into licence arrangements with restaurants in the vicinity to establish an open dining area on the site.

Much better than a parking lot!

Still the matter of this site having been bought for the purpose of parking and ensuring that does not actually happen.

Still the matter of this site having been bought for the purpose of parking ....
Was there ever an earlier development-proposal on this site..? Toronto Councillors have a habit of using GREEN-P parking capital funds to "Buy Out" developers from project that would cause them a lot of Local Headaches.

That happened a few times up in the Danforth & Broadview area in the past.

Was there ever an earlier development-proposal on this site..? Toronto Councillors have a habit of using GREEN-P parking capital funds to "Buy Out" developers from project that would cause them a lot of Local Headaches.

That happened a few times up in the Danforth & Broadview area in the past.

I don't believe so.

The site wasn't held by a developer/investor with whom I'm familiar either.

If you look at the site, and its context and size, its seems unlikely this would have been suitable or desirable for a significant development at the time of acquisition.

But I could stand to be corrected.

As part of their vote, council directed staff to make sure the list of all city-owned parking lots being considered for development include annual revenues and losses, the long-term impact on city revenue and the cost to replace it. Additionally, they stipulated that any current or future parking lots considered for development be required to include affordable housing.

Council also asked the Toronto Parking Authority property at 596-598 Gerrard St. E. to be designated as a top priority for redevelopment for affordable housing.

While the vote sailed through with a majority, the item sparked debate on the value of surface parking lots for residents.

Back