Hamilton 58 York Boulevard | 94.59m | 28s | Belmont | srm Architects

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Little information so far here but in 2023 a preliminary site plan review was submitted for this address with the following description:
To construct a high-rise mixed-use 28 storey building including a 4 storey podium with a max height of 95 m. Includes 120 m2 of ground floor commercial office space and 344 residential units above. 122 parking spaces are provided.

The site is currently a surface lot, image via Google streeview as of December 2022:
1678986604109.png

Ohhhh please let this be good haha. Such a prominent location. I wouldn't be surprised if the developer tries to push the height bubble eventually, it would be a good spot for it.

Glad you are adding more Hamilton proposals- there are a variety not here or on SSP due to the limited manpower. I would like to get around to adding some myself, but until then this will be a wonderful project to have tabs on. Lots of miscellaneous 20-30 floor buildings being applied for in the last year or so, and many low-midrises in the suburbs, too.
Ohhhh please let this be good haha. Such a prominent location. I wouldn't be surprised if the developer tries to push the height bubble eventually, it would be a good spot for it.
Maybe… I don’t think so though, because every application historically that went for ~40 just applied for it right away and scaled it back later. I don’t think any were any re-applications for more height, although it’d be smart- you can get going on your first 30 floors and then just keep going if you get your wish granted.

Glad you are adding more Hamilton proposals- there are a variety not here or on SSP due to the limited manpower. I would like to get around to adding some myself, but until then this will be a wonderful project to have tabs on. Lots of miscellaneous 20-30 floor buildings being applied for in the last year or so, and many low-midrises in the suburbs, too.

If you or anyone else reading this knows of any Hamilton proposals that currently do not have a database file or thread, feel free to start a thread or message me (hover over my name, click 'start conversation') and a database page will be made.

For Hamilton standards, this is a 9/10.
I like it, same criticisms as usual:

- Too much automobile parking for right downtown

- Too little bicycle parking, right downtown

- Commercial space is limited by parking and unnecessarily large lobby (seriously, does anyone want a 4000sq ft lobby?)

Edit: I will note, reviewing the plans, it appears they've designed the parking garage in such a way that it could eventually be converted to residential units in the future which is good. I'd be curious if they have trouble selling the parking like Corktown if they'd think of converting pre-construction. If this is rental it would provide them with more flexibility.

Last edited:
"Sold" - would be amazing if we could see the City approve these types of proposals in weeks to a few months vs getting caught up in years for assessing / commenting etc etc. We need a more agile process. Hopefully this is already zoned for up to 30 storeys .

"Sold" - would be amazing if we could see the City approve these types of proposals in weeks to a few months vs getting caught up in years for assessing / commenting etc etc. We need a more agile process. Hopefully this is already zoned for up to 30 storeys .
One of the biggest issues with the supply side of housing issues is the time to approve. These types of developments should be approved in a couple weeks or months like you say. Many are very similar, and the rules should be clear. If you do that it would vastly reduce the cost to build housing and the speed and elasticity of the housing market which would provide a much more agile process that can better adjust to housing demand.

One of the biggest issues with the supply side of housing issues is the time to approve. These types of developments should be approved in a couple weeks or months like you say. Many are very similar, and the rules should be clear. If you do that it would vastly reduce the cost to build housing and the speed and elasticity of the housing market which would provide a much more agile process that can better adjust to housing demand.
Agree that reducing the time for review could be game changing though warn that as someone who does review complex proposals (non-building type ones), rushing is not ideal either. All to say that there needs to be a balance which is probably agreeable. Likely things are just taking too long but perhaps that is deliberate in some cases.

Agree that reducing the time for review could be game changing though warn that as someone who does review complex proposals (non-building type ones), rushing is not ideal either. All to say that there needs to be a balance which is probably agreeable. Likely things are just taking too long but perhaps that is deliberate in some cases.
I definitely know that there is a lot to review, and we definitely don't want things skipped. I just think the city should work to streamline the process and hire more staff to complete reviews. There should also be fines or penalties for having staff review but not moving forward to avoid wasting the time and taxpayer dollars of the city.

All in all, it's likely far more complex than I'm able to understand, but other regions have been able to speed up the process quite a bit, with Ontario municipalities having some of the worst approval times in North America.

I have not done any research on which North American municipalities have best in class approval process including simplicity, and clear comms, and ultimately speed to market, but would like to think that this forum might know. Maybe with Thorne moving on, perhaps scout leadership talent in those cities with a scorecard geared fully to implement similar policies.

Back