Toronto 561 Sherbourne | 128.01m | 43s | Medallion | Arcadis

This really is awesome. The skybridges really add a modern character to a building. developments using existing buildings are most exciting, IMO, because architechts must think of creative ways to integrate everything. Also postive is the retail. I hope this is a precedent for the Tower Renewal program.

I'm kind of on the fence about this one. I like the extra density here, but, having lived at 565 Sherbourne many years ago I feel confident in saying that I'm not sure Medallion Properties should be trusted with caring for another highrise. It would be quite the little empire for them here. The cockroaches were out of control way back when... and they still are, according to friends who currently live here.

...But the skybridges are cool.

sherb1a.jpg
sherb1b.jpg
sherb1c.jpg

^Red rectangle is where the new building would go.

Cockroaches? That's odd, I have a friend that lives in the building to the north (which will be connected to the new structure via skybridge) and he has never mentioned them.

I'm trying to "understand" the plan but am confused. My "concern" is, are they gonna tear down No Frills?! PLEASE TELL ME NO!!!

I'm trying to "understand" the plan but am confused. My "concern" is, are they gonna tear down No Frills?! PLEASE TELL ME NO!!!

Yes I'm afraid they are gonna tear down No Frills but the plans call for another supermarket to be built occupying a different foot print. Its not likely to be a No Frills however, my guess is it will be another overpriced Sobeys or Metro.

Yes I'm afraid they are gonna tear down No Frills but the plans call for another supermarket to be built occupying a different foot print. Its not likely to be a No Frills however, my guess is it will be another overpriced Sobeys or Metro.
How would a Sobey's even work in that area? Quite possibly the most overpriced grocery store out of all of them. Talk about gentrification.

How would a Sobey's even work in that area?

The area has attracted new wealth and would no longer be directly competing with Metro's "no frills" brand two buildings away.

Talk about gentrification

You make it sound like a bad thing.

The area has attracted new wealth and would no longer be directly competing with Metro's "no frills" brand two buildings away.
You make it sound like a bad thing.

To me it is a bad thing unfortunately. Part of the reason I like the area is the proximity to No Frills. I don't want to pay for over priced groceries!

To me it is a bad thing unfortunately. Part of the reason I like the area is the proximity to No Frills. I don't want to pay for over priced groceries!

You'll be fine. There is a No Frills at Parliament & Spruce and a Food Basics at Wellesley & Ontario. A substitution for a higher-end grocery store makes sense....

The only true gentrification in the area is happening on the west side of Sherbourne (aside from the small townhouse/apartment/walkup place that went up south of Wellesley and east of Sherbourne). Remember, these are rental units, so this new tower will not substantially change the demographics of the neighbourhood. Rather, it would merely reinforce it. Granted, having a new building, Medallion Corp may be able to get away with charging slightly higher rents, but by and large they're still attracting the average rental crowd (a stark contrast to the 500 Sherbourne development).

Gentrification implies a change in the residents' socio-economic status as well as a change in built form (i.e. urban renewal). St. Jamestown will get the 2nd one, but not likely the 1st one.

September 20 2009 update

The future additional building (if approved) will be jammed in between the first and second tower shown in the first photo ... it sure seems like a tight space, but the more density the merrier :D

The first part of the site regeneration (new Shoppers Drug Mart) is completed, located on the northwest portion of the site plan fronting onto Sherbourne, and on the bottom left of the elevations drawing as per plans previously posted by casaguy below

Click to Enlarge Thumbnails

^Red rectangle is where the new building would go.

not sure if this is even the right thread....but an article in today's Star mentions a -43- storey rental tower planned.....

McIntyre is involved in a new St. James Town project, a 43-storey rental tower replacing what is now an ugly concrete slab on Sherbourne St. between Bloor and Wellesley. The ambitious plan involves street-level retail on Sherbourne as well as three-storey townhouses behind the development, along Bleecker St. Another tower isn’t necessarily what urban planners imagined for St. James Town, but politics is the art of the possible and McIntyre’s efforts to involve the community in the planning is part of making that work.

rest of article here......http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/realestate/article/865810--political-career-and-travel-trump-home-ownership

Some new details:

• Old design: 750 sqm floorplate & 36s
  • New Design: 623 sqm floorplate & 43s
  • Elevated skygardens connection towers
  • New design increases setbacks from the streets
  • The shed/roof covering Earl Street will be removed and all new landscaping
  • New street oriented retail along Sherbourne
  • No Frills will be renovated and expanded
  • Much improved landscaping and improved facades along Sherbourne
  • Townhomes along Bleecker Street & improved streetscape & landscaping
  • Planned as a rental tower (market rents)
  • Sol Wassermuhl is the architect

Last edited:

Back