Toronto 555 Davenport | 29.6m | 8s | Zinc Developments | a—A

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
No additional details or available renderings yet, but Zinc Developments have acquired the building at 555 Davenport Road. It's at the corner with Kendal Ave, across the street from the Casa Loma grounds, and (previously) a part of the George Brown College Casa Loma campus:

Zinc Davenport

Coming Soon.

Architect
Architects Alliance

daven.JPG

Looks reasonably decent architecturally, although a slight misstep not having any retail space on the grade level fronting Davenport.

I can see this facing some resistance from the rowhouse community to the east. But overall, these two lots are are ideal for intensification. Dupont station is a short walk over, or if timed properly there's also the 127 Davenport bus which can bring you over to Dupont even quicker, or Spadina station if needed.

Here we go - 500 MacPherson looks like an exact replica - don't know if we need to combine the threads
As there is the building between the two phases, I think we'll stick with two threads.

A note on the proposed landscaping here, I don't like it.

The proposal has the 'trees' hugging the building (s); which will impair their growth, and invariably lead to issues when roots find their way through cracks in the foundation.

Further, they won't provide much shade to passers-by, the primary direction from which the sun is arriving (east/south/west as the case may be) is unobstructed by any canopy.

Between setbacks and the option of marginally narrowing the road (the width is ~11m on Kendal) It should be feasible to do a curb-side planting zone.

Looks reasonably decent architecturally, although a slight misstep not having any retail space on the grade level fronting Davenport.

I can see this facing some resistance from the rowhouse community to the east. But overall, these two lots are are ideal for intensification. Dupont station is a short walk over, or if timed properly there's also the 127 Davenport bus which can bring you over to Dupont even quicker, or Spadina station if needed.
Definitely a misstep not having retail. Especially with George Brown across the street.

Definitely a misstep not having retail. Especially with George Brown across the street.

Yeah, it would've been a nice location for a cafe, eatery, and/or bodega. Especially with GBC students, an influx of local residents from two new condo buildings, and the presence of seasonal but common enough tourists checking out Casa Loma.

This one is the subject of a Decision Report - Approval Recommended, to the next meeting of TEYCC:

Some revisions have been made:

1683900922437.png

New Arch. Drawings were submitted April 5 '23 and come with a new render:

1683901095331.png

As with its sister proposal down the street, I preferred the previous red-toned brick, oh well.

Also, you won't hear this all that often from me; but I don't think the heritage facade preservation here is at all beneficial and preferred the previous elevation.

Back