Toronto 55 Mercer | 155.5m | 47s | CentreCourt | Arcadis

At one time when planning was more than finding an acceptable compromise, urbantoronto was disatisfied by cones and skyline sculpturing that reduced proposed heights. Now It's the table top which is the alternative to the disliked cone. The only acceptable varied heights is taller than 157 metres. 200 metres would look great in the skyline until a second and third 200 metre tower is proposed. Than only 250 metres would do justice.

157 metres is already huge for the spacing between these towers. These are homes It's not a central banking district. There needs to be higher critique than the skyline.

Last edited:
If this is before all the defiencies have been taken care of than who cares. If this is after than that is really bad.

definately not the worst I have seen but hey it's the speed people care about and price...
In conjunction with it's VE'd neighbours, I'm not sure the bar is being raised that much. /sigh

We were walking up Blue Jays Way recently, and I said to my wife that the rate of progress at 55 Mercer was an interesting comparison to Nobu, the building next door, which had started two years earlier. (Looked it up - demolition at Nobu started mid-August, 2018, and at 55 Mercer in mid-December 2020.)

Just as I finished my comment, one of the construction management staff (white hard hat) for 55 Mercer who was walking by turned and said to us 'And we will be finished before them too'.

March 26, 2024 - and a reprise of the comment from a CentreCourt project manager on the 55 Mercer building August 14, 2021. Just as I finished my comment, one of the construction management staff (white hard hat) for 55 Mercer who was walking by turned and said to us 'And we will be finished before them too'.

I certainly looks like he was right - 55 Mercer is now in a much more complete state than Nobu. The main residents' lobby, while not overly large, is fully finished and operating. According to the view of the entry panel that I had, there are occupants up to at least the 33rd floor. There were no visible signs of ongoing construction activity. The retail space on the west side of the ground floor, while unfinished, appears to be completely ready for tenant fit up.

Some photos, in which signs of resident occupancy can be seen in some of the windows - would be much easier to see in an evening picture, with the lights on though.

1000003942.jpg

20240326_083640.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003940.jpg
    1000003940.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 4
Great update! I believe that the west retail unit is to be an Argentinian steakhouse.

Back