Toronto 522 Royal York | 124.25m | 37s | Queenscorp | Turner Fleischer

You'll never convince drivers with off-peak service like that. Chicken and egg thing I think.

If developers who are friends with Doug whisper enough in his ear, an Ontario line extension could happen ... but even an LRT like Finch West might work here and be really beneficial.
I think we should avoid building more street running trams on wide arterials in the suburbs. The Finch LRT is going to have an average speed of 20km an hour, making it marginally faster than the current finch bus, for billions of dollars. The queensway, especially west of Islington, is a perfect corridor for elevated rail, which the OL tech is prime for.

the existing elements are crappy post war bungalows and under utilized industrial land. The solution to traffic is a reduction in parking spaces, not reducing the number of people we try to accommodate.
If you go further north of the Queensway, you'll find lots of split-levels that are bigger and more expensive. So, I don't think those homeowners are going to favour intensification. But yeah, the Queensway strip is ripe for densification.

At one time, those little post-war bungalows along the Queensway were the solution to a housing crisis. Homes for vets returning home. I don't see that solution working at all in today's big city and housing crisis.

I think we should avoid building more street running trams on wide arterials in the suburbs. The Finch LRT is going to have an average speed of 20km an hour, making it marginally faster than the current finch bus, for billions of dollars. The queensway, especially west of Islington, is a perfect corridor for elevated rail, which the OL tech is prime for.
Well yeah. But even those 'trams' would be a big step up from today. And those trams would be a lot less expensive than the OL tech. OL extension would be better long-term no doubt, but you might have to really redevelop the area to get trips above the level of the Sheppard line and support the higher-order system. All stuff for pondering and a bit off-topic.

Well yeah. But even those 'trams' would be a big step up from today. And those trams would be a lot less expensive than the OL tech. OL extension would be better long-term no doubt, but you might have to really redevelop the area to get trips above the level of the Sheppard line and support the higher-order system. All stuff for pondering and a bit off-topic.
How you guys are jumping from hourly off-peak bus service to LRT or Ontario Line extension is beyond me. How about 10-minute bus service during the day and 15-minute peak first? That should handle a decade's worth of intensification.

How you guys are jumping from hourly off-peak bus service to LRT or Ontario Line extension is beyond me. How about 10-minute bus service during the day and 15-minute peak first? That should handle a decade's worth of intensification.

Why not aim for better if it is achievable in an affordable manner? Intensive development along the corridor over the next few decades is certain, and trends in the built/planned developments show the final population numbers will require rapid transit. Building what we know will be needed only gets more difficult and expensive with each year that passes, and each tower is built.

I’m not super familiar with this area, but in the few times I’ve been around this corridor, I’ve been taken aback by the traffic congestion in the area.

I see some similarities between this stretch and the Eglinton and Laird, an area I’m more familiar with. Both have a mish mash of big box stores, light industrial, and now and into the future, mid-and-high rise condos. The big difference is that one area will be adjacent to an LRT line, and the other will not.

I’m not super familiar with this area, but in the few times I’ve been around this corridor, I’ve been taken aback by the traffic congestion in the area.

I see some similarities between this stretch and the Eglinton and Laird, an area I’m more familiar with. Both have a mish mash of big box stores, light industrial, and now and into the future, mid-and-high rise condos. The big difference is that one area will be adjacent to an LRT line, and the other will not.
yep your comparison is accurate. Both areas have been heavily suburban since they were initially developed but are now rapidly urbanizing. As much as the street running portion of the crosstown is criticized, it serve the high density along eglinton east much better than the bus service on the queensway

It's not just a ZBA you need here, you need to have a permit in hand to pull a demo permit on res...

Yup, I know that's policy; I was merely making note that they are further from that point than many others who try to jump the queue.

There's another one of these today, where the application has the build permits applied for, but is awaiting a single condition on their SPA.

This one is much further back.

This one is the subject of an Appeals Report to the next meeting of EYCC:

Appealed by applicant in June '23; first CMC was October '23; Full hearing is scheduled surprisingly early, February '24.

While staff have a large number of concerns here, many revolving around employment lands conversion and compatibility, staff have worked with the applicant to improve the proposal notwithstanding that.

1704727493444.png

The City rightly taking issue w/the amount of parking proposed: (as in too much)

1704727553347.png

The City would like its slice of land for Roads:

1704727619655.png

This bit will be of interest to @HousingNowTO

1704727658545.png

1704727698828.png

Additionally, the City would like an on-site park; at least, at 1.3ha it would be a reasonable size:

1704727775717.png

As there is not another park south of Queensway or west of Royal York to enlarge, I could support the on-site park plan here.

Thanks, adding to the watch-list...

EY10.4 - 2, 7 and 10 Queen Elizabeth Boulevard, 506, 514, 516, 520 and 522 Royal York Road and 3, 5 and 15 Sinclair Street - Zoning By-law Amendment Application - Appeal Report

So, it appears the Merit Hearing referenced above, was a typo of some sort and was actually a CMC, because the decisions that came out of that set the date for the merit hearing.

Mediation

[6] The Parties indicated they have now secured three days beginning March 1, 2024, for Tribunal-led mediation. Both Parties are encouraged by the discussions held thus far and are hopeful that the issues identified in the draft Procedural Order (“PO”) and Issues List (“IL”) submitted to the Tribunal on February 15, 2024, will be fully discussed in an effort to resolve or reduce those in dispute. In an effort to keep the discussions focussed on the issues identified, the Parties requested that the draft PO be approved at this time while leaving the opportunity to amend the PO and IL once mediation has concluded.

[8] The Parties are directed to advise the Tribunal if a settlement has been reached or to submit any amendments to the draft Procedural Order no later than Friday March 29, 2024
Should this go to hearing, its scheduled for 12 days:

The video hearing will begin on Tuesday, August 6, 2024 at 10:00 a.m. via videoconference.
Decision:

Wow - this is quite dense. Combined with the other projects in the area (such as cineplex community at 1025 Queensway) and this area is going to become very urban (more like a liberty village than sleepy suburb).

Last edited:

Back