Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Isn't this just another glass box? Sure, it has a few setbacks but really, it just looks like a regular box. There is no attempt to make the roof interesting or distinctive. I'm really getting tired of builders who make no attempt to distinguish themselves. Where is the creativity in the "creative city"?

There can't be any reason other than to save on the application fees; they aren't going to derive any other benefit out of it, as the same zoning amendment process is still going to be ahead of them.

There's a sense that the pro-density movement in the City may end and it's improtant to get applications in when things are going well. Plus, I belive this site may be impacted by the upcoming tall building guidelines. The lawyer said as much: it's a placeholder application, don't get too worried about the details yet.

I hunger for some imported talent, because let's face it, our own architects have become inbred.

Probably the best quote of the week. So true!

Even our best architectural firms are sort of doing derivative work these days and all their designs seem to blend in to one another these days. I hunger for an international design competition. Although I only think that the Absolute World towers are just "okay", I appreciate that Cityzen (or whoever the developer was) held an international design competition to - quite literally - get some "outside of the box" thinking.

It's hard for the city to mandate something like an international design competition for private projects, but it would do wonders for the architectural quality of our skyline. This isn't New York City where developers take it on their own initiative to hire international architects (Christian de Portzamparc for One57, Gehry for 8 Spruce street) to design the most striking condo towers.

It's not that our local architects like Teeple Architects, aA, Wallman, KPMB, and Hariri Pontarini, aren't doing good work by international standards. But their good work represents the architectural mainstream, the buildings that stylishly fit the needs of the city in most areas; when it comes to the kind of landmarks that push the bar of creativity in the world and increase a city's profile, they struggle. Prominent locations in Canada's greatest city deserve the best architecture in the world. If builders made it happen more often here, it would stimulate more adventurous architecture among local firms appropriate for the highly-visible and most significant locations like Bloor Street in downtown. The government probably has to step in to mandate something better in the true Canadian manner, though I'd love for the development industry to prove me wrong.

^ Hear, hear.

I thoroughly agree. It's fine - or perhaps, inevitable - that a place develops a vernacular. Toronto's had quite a few waves of vernacular architecture since it's founding. We're not quite as bound to one style as other, older more cohesive cities might be. In fact, we seem to enjoy carelessly throwing them together.

There's the argument on this forum that the condo architecture of the last ten to fifteen years marks the emergence of a Toronto Style. I'd have to respectfully disagree- - mostly because the squarish style of most new condos can be seen anywhere in the world (they're not even as original as Bay-and-Gable even was). They are direct, unapologetic descendants of the International Style via Mies, Gropius, and SOM with hardly a line of variation.

Just because buildings here are being built alike most of the time, doesn't mean they shouldn't be more exciting, more of the time. The bar could be raised - and that too would have a 'normalcy' to it after a bit - though of a more wonderful kind.

The word Starchitect (not a great word, anyway) is beginning to gather untoward looks. Still, if we can't have outright innovation and deeply new architecture, it would be good to have some high-powered help in to keep us from being boxed in by dull predictability. I think international design competitions would be a good thing - recommended for medium-sized buildings, and mandatory for those over a certain size.

With that said - I think the design for this particular building is third-rate, and would really benefit from being handed at the very least to a competent Canadian firm, or better, opened to international competition.

Last edited:
Hiring an international architect could open a whole new world for the city. All we need is one developer to break the mould, and I'm sure people would be pleasantly surprised, and a new level would be set.

The word Starchitect (not a great word, anyway) is beginning to gather untoward looks. Still, if we can't have outright innovation and deeply new architecture, it would be good to have some high-powered help in to keep us from being boxed in by dull predictability. I think international design competitions would be a good thing - recommended for medium-sized buildings, and mandatory for those over a certain size.

I agree but what can you do with a somewhat insular and parochial local design establishment that dismisses outsiders as 'starchitects' and views anything outside of the box as 'big hair'?

Unquestionably there are some great local designers who are doing some great work establishing a vernacular form for the city, but this should never preclude Toronto being the kind of place that welcomes innovation. After all where would our built form be without Mies or Revell, among others?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that our local architects like Teeple Architects, aA, Wallman, KPMB, and Hariri Pontarini, aren't doing good work by international standards. But their good work represents the architectural mainstream, the buildings that stylishly fit the needs of the city in most areas; when it comes to the kind of landmarks that push the bar of creativity in the world and increase a city's profile, they struggle.

I always thought that these firms really shined when they were doing midrises. When it came to highrises, they sort of lost their lustre. While the Four Seasons is a fine building, it isn't going to go down as aA's best. A 900 foot building is going to be ostentatious no matter what. It has to have a certain bravado and our local architects are not versed in that.

It will take a bit of a shift, but like bmiller said, once one developer holds an international design competition it will raise the bar for others. Right now it's kind of a game of "first mover disadvantage" - why bother with an unnecessary expense when everyone's selling condos already and making a handsome profit? However, I think that in certain circles you could charge a hefty premium for an internationally-designed building, plus it raises a lot of free publicity for your project.

I thought we had very solid rumours last month that this project, by Oxford, was going to be a Will Aslop or other starchitect? Or do I have that confused ith Cumberland Terraces?

It's not a particularly creative design, but nonetheless I think it's quite handsome. I would look great in Yorkville.

I think a lot of people are complaining about the architecture on a number of proposals. I just don't think the incentive is there right now to build anything special. The demand is so strong that the units will sell regardless. It's really up to the regulators to force more effort in this area but they're obviously useless and just happy to get the jobs and the new tax revenues.

So you dont think people would pay an extra $50-$75 square foot for an Aslop or whomever?
Increasingly Im coming to the view that first rate materials can salvage almost any design.

I think a lot of people are complaining about the architecture on a number of proposals.

Seems to me the majority of people who see these condos at the presentation centres are far more concerned about being located close to subways, expressways, restaurants, cafes, shops/malls and work. If anything, complaints are more directed to the interior layouts and not the exterior designs.

Last edited:

Back