Toronto 50 at Wellesley Station | 114.9m | 37s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

It looks so beautiful now. I think they should leave it like that, with the remaining upper brick level still intact, and all the lovely exposed cinderblock. My heart sings with joy.

I'm trying to remember if I ever saw it being built. 1970's I assume.

Can't recall exactly when it was built - late 60's or early 70's. It was originally only 2 stories but they loved what the got so much that they couldn't resist adding 2 more floors a couple of years later. Watching it go is very satisfying, even theraputic. Gives one hope for the destruction of all of the other god awfuls erected in one's time.

God awfuls? I was rather fond of it. The slitty little windows made it into something much more than just another windowless brick box. Surely it could have been incorporated into something, rather than being torn down for a huge 44 storey tower that is far too tall, or I should say grossly out of scale? This is next to the historic Paul Kane House and Park too, not some deserted empty site, and history is being made every day in the gay village next door. Why do the build-anything-anywhere crowd always have to win?

God awfuls? I was rather fond of it. The slitty little windows made it into something much more than just another windowless brick box. Surely it could have been incorporated into something, rather than being torn down for a huge 44 storey tower that is far too tall, or I should say grossly out of scale? This is next to the historic Paul Kane House and Park too, not some deserted empty site, and history is being made every day in the gay village next door. Why do the build-anything-anywhere crowd always have to win?

Actually, it's a 26-storey condo. The 44-storey pipe dream is proposed for the lot directly west. My issue with the building was not the architecture but my dark-brown-brickphobia.

Actually, it's a 26-storey condo. The 44-storey pipe dream is proposed for the lot directly west

I believe the original proposal for the site to the west (40 Wellesley) was rejected and the design is back on the drawing board.

Actually, it's a 26-storey condo. The 44-storey pipe dream is proposed for the lot directly west. My issue with the building was not the architecture but my dark-brown-brickphobia.
Don't like 60s neo-Aalto, I guess?

I wonder if they salvaged the doors (real beauts, as so many of those Brutalist/Aaltoesque wooden doors tend to be)

Who was it that took the above shots?

I was in the Sunnybrook hospital just across the street - my fiancee's dad was having knee surgery.

The building is about 60% demolished.

Who was it that took the above shots?

I was in the Sunnybrook hospital just across the street - my fiancee's dad was having knee surgery.

The building is about 60% demolished.

cabeman took the one at the top of page 4 and I took the one's below. Rain permitting, I'll try and grab a shot or two tomorrow and on Friday if there is anything remaining by then.

Sept. 27th, 4:00-4:30pm update

50_wellesley1_sept27-07.jpg

50_wellesley3_sept27-07.jpg

50_wellesley2_sept27-07.jpg

Dang, we must have been there at almost exactly the same time - I have a close to identical picture, ha.

Everyone say bye bye to mister ugly building.

Dang, we must have been there at almost exactly the same time - I have a close to identical picture, ha.

Everyone say bye bye to mister ugly building.

casaguy and I seemingly crossed paths last Saturday when i was doing a neighbourhood photo update, small world! I was the dude with the yellow Labrador Retriever by my side in front of the Orthopedic hospital from about 4-4:30.

Sept. 28th, pile of rubble now.

50_Wellesley_Sept28.jpg

50_Wellesley2_Sept28.jpg

Plaza Corp has posted a sign on site stating something like "Condos coming here soon - www.plazacorp.com". Anticlimactic to be sure, but it's progress. There's nothing on their website for this property yet.

Back